Buying the CM:BB. Questions!

Hi everyone,

I'm a 16 year old kid who got into simulations about a year ago with IL-2 Sturmovik and recently Forgotten Battles. I've watched the Battlefront games for a while and I can't decide if I should buy one or not. I don't have a lot of money, but I should be getting a job this summer (3 weeks) :eek: . I really feel as if I buy too many computer games though, so I'm not sure if I should splurge again...like always.

The main questions:

When does Special Edition come out in stores?

Would anyone be willing to chat about the game and play multiplayer with me?

Is it worth getting, or would getting Barbarossa to Berlin be better?

What should I do about my problem of buying too many games (off topic). :confused:

[ May 05, 2003, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: PoppinHobbit ]

Originally posted by PoppinHobbit:

The main questions:

When does Special Edition come out in stores?

Would anyone be willing to chat about the game and play multiplayer with me?

Is it worth getting, or would getting Barbarossa to Berlin be better?

What should I do about my problem of buying too many games (off topic). :confused:

Welcome to the boards! This is a wonderful community, and I'm sure people much more in the know will be along to give you better answers, but:

The easiest way to stop buying a lot of games is CMBB or CMBO. They are enormously deep games, and take practically forever to play out. I'm still playing mostly '42 battles - haven't really gotten to anything later.

If you haven't already, try out the demo of CMBO as it gives a better feel for the gameplay than the CMBB demo (which was aimed to show the differences between the two games).

I'd suggest picking up CMBB now, and possibly skipping CMBO for the new game about the Medeterranean campaign due out later this year.

Just my thoughts.

- b.

CMBO or CMBB? A bit of your own preference plays into this. IMO, CMBB is much better hands down. The engine's improved and the sheer number of units is great. For those with a big preference for fighting with Yanks, Brits, Canucks, Germans, etc. then CMBO for the time being is it. I would suggest waiting for CM:Afrika Korps if you want Brits and all in a game but I'm not sure how far down the road it is.

For right now, if I may make a suggestion, CMBB should be your first choice. CM is easy to play due to the interface but at the same time the learning curve will be steep unless you've got your tactics down right.

Don't be too upset in your first game when your Tigers blow up unexpectedly. Dont' throw stuff like I did...

Okay, I downloaded the CM:BB Single player demo and it installed fine. The problem is when I load it up the screen is just...black. I hit ctrl+alt+delete to close it and I see the main menu flash. So its working to an extent. But I can't get the thing to work normally, even when I maximize it again. Total and complete black. I have Windows XP Professional. Suggestions?

Okay, I downloaded the CM:BB Single player demo and it installed fine. The problem is when I load it up the screen is just...black. I hit ctrl+alt+delete to close it and I see the main menu flash. So its working to an extent. But I can't get the thing to work normally, even when I maximize it again. Total and complete black. I have Windows XP Professional. Suggestions?

PH,

Head over to the Tech forum, browse through it you may find the answer.

KC

One last thing. After reading the newbie thread. It is correct that I may only purchase this thing off this website? No stores at all legally carry copies? Theres almost no way my parents will let me order off the internet after all the stupid troubles other companys like electronic arts have given me. Or things like World War II online billing me for a free trial. Just making sure, are any future releases of the game planned to show up in stores?

Edit: I don't think I will purchase this game. As the forums have not carried a solution to my problems. Updating drivers and using windows update helped. I got into Combat Mission after freezing my computer several times at Black loading screens and alt tabbing in and out to get the menus to display. The one time I did get in the game was going so slow, something like 5 fps that it was hard just to watch. I don't think its going to run on my computer. Shucks...

[ May 05, 2003, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: PoppinHobbit ]

Or things like World War II online billing me for a free trial.

Don't worry, Brigade spawning will fix that right up. :D

The one time I did get in the game was going so slow, something like 5 fps that it was hard just to watch. I don't think its going to run on my computer. Shucks...

You might have to try CM:BO then. The one good thing there is the Beyond Overlord has lower system requirments than BB. Give the Overlord demo a try, it can't hurt.

One thing I found though is that any type of Anti-Aysling(sp?) will bring CM:BB to a crawl even on my upper end machine.

[ May 05, 2003, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Nippy ]

Too bad about your parents. For what it's worth I can tell you that CM is an internet sale only (except some Euro sales for CMBB) All of us here have bought either CMBO and/or CMBB ( and I daresay are already saving to by CMAK) Many used credit cards , some sent in checks. I have never heard in the YEARS since I started here any problem that Battlefront did not labor to solve to the customers satisfaction. Witness the strategy guide. They mailed a FREE revised volume, at their expense to all who had purchased a earlier run that had 'in their mind' too many print errors. They made the decison within days of discovering the problem.

They have never ripped us off, and the people here can get quite vocal about their praise for BTS.

I do hope you figure out your 'puter problem because there are no finer simulations of WWII than than these games. Doubt me/ just read the forum. People ( aLOT of people) LOVE these games and respect BTS and are long time customers, in the past and in the future.

Like I said, they do take checks, it's the same as a catalog and I brt your parents have at least occasionally done that

For the knowledge of when this problem occured. I had a computer that I rebuilt a while ago. Combat Mission worked on this computer. But I upgraded this computer from my Geforce 2 to a Geforce 4 ti4200P and rebuilt the system during the process. So the problem is my graphics card, what specifically? Maybe I'll try the 30.82 drivers? I don't know for sure. I have DirectX 9 and all windows updates.

For the knowledge of when this problem occured. I had a computer that I rebuilt a while ago. Combat Mission worked on this computer. But I upgraded this computer from my Geforce 2 to a Geforce 4 ti4200P and rebuilt the system during the process. So the problem is my graphics card, what specifically? Maybe I'll try the 30.82 drivers? I don't know for sure. I have DirectX 9 and all windows updates.

Well it should run fine in a G4 w/30.82 or 30.87 drivers. There has been reported success with higher drivers but these seem to be the most stable for now, one nore question though, is it 4X or 8X AGP?

KC

My video card happens to be 4X AGP. I'm going to download Beyond Overlord now. I'm going to see if I can get either demo to work now that I have antialiasing off by default. If that doesn't work, off to new drivers I go! Gotta at least give this game a chance, new drivers never do anything for my anyways.

Edit:

I forgot to mention. I really appreciate how nice everyone is being. Is there something I'm missing. I've never met forums as nice as this before. Theres no one fighting or acting like a moron...whats up with that?

[ May 06, 2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: PoppinHobbit ]

Edit:

I forgot to mention. I really appreciate how nice everyone is being. Is there something I'm missing. I've never met forums as nice as this before. Theres no one fighting or acting like a moron...whats up with that?

It's generally a decent bunch of folks hereabouts, not near as pleasant and polite over in the General Discussion Forum, not that not decent folks, it's just a more argumentative place.

I'm running both CmBB/CMBO with a P4 1.8, GForce3 very smoothly, sounds like driver issues to me, oops..w/AA on 4X

KC

Okay, sorry for posting so much. This should be the last. I'll just index the post and hold Krazy Canuck to that game! :D

I load up my computer, download the Frontline demo(which completely blows). Combat Mission Beyond Overlord too. I turn off my anti-aliasing...install Beyond Overlord. I load it up and it works perfectly, no black screen, no slow frames...wow. I turn anti-aliasing back on...no problem still. I install CM:BB Demo, load it up and it works perfectly! I have no idea what happened but I'll accept it. Now I shall commence weedling a credit card number from my parents. I have a whole slew of begging, bribes, and good behavior to sway them over.

Cya on the battlefield! :eek:

Hello. This really is a fun game. If you'd be interested in playing against someone near your age, I'd be ready for a game as I'm 15. You might also want to check this out after you learn the basics of CMBB Onion Wars

It's a campaign with several of us playing on a fictional island. This is where you fight battles that mean something in the long run, not just a single abstracted battle that has no end consequnces. Also, if you'd want to look for an opponnet for TCP/IP, check out the combatmissionHQ Java chat for other players.