Cowardly Fish

Question for all you grogs - I am playing a game against the Salmon empire in the ONIONWARS - www.onionwars.net - and I have a couple of PAK38s facing off against t34s. three 50mm's have been firing at 5 t34s at ranges of 550m+.

Now, my brave gunners have one kill, and one gun hit - but they refused to use the handful of T rounds they have. The t34s have now fled the field. My questions are:

1) Are Salmon collective players naturally cowards?

2) Why dont AT guns use the most effective penetration shell after a 'testing' hit?

Grum

p.s. I really mean that about the cowards bit smile.gif

I had the same experience of T-34/85s not using Tungsten against identified and bracketed King Tigers (no T fired even after bouncing up to 3 AP shells off the target).

My theory is that the AI has to apply quite a complicated logic (possibly involving range and facing of the target, hit and kill chance, ammo left, etc.) and therefore does not always get it right.

The AI has no 'Wait a minute, this can't be right, I'll use T anyway' reflex.

Tungsten shells are not necessarily more effective than regular AP at longer ranges. Tungsten is lighter than steel, and so Tungsten-core shells loose velocity to air resistance more quickly than an equivalent-sized stell shell.

I'm at work, and so I don't have the stats right in front of me, but it is quite possible at the ranges you are talking about the regular AP shell is actually nearly as effective as the T shell againt the T-34. If the difference in performance is only marginal, your gunners may decide to save their T shells for closer targets. . .

As far as your opponent's cowardice, I'm guessing your comments here are more challenge than actual query ;) , but if I lost 40% of my armor capability (assuming the 'gun hit' has taken out the gun to that T-34) to two AT guns which I probably haven't even fully spotted yet (which he probably hasn't unless he has units closer to your guns than the tanks themselves), I would most definitely back off and try another route, or wait until I could bring up some arty or infantry support, or whatever. Otherwise, chances are I'm going to eventually lose all of the tank platoon. . .

Cheers,

YD