8. PD at the start of L'vov Sandomierz

If someone owns a history or somesuch of 8.PD, can you please email me? I need some info on the action of 8.PD in combat during the first attacks of the L'vov Sandomierz Operation in July 1944. I have a Soviet map that places 8.PD at the entrance to what would become the Koltov corridor into which 3rd Guards Tank Army was inserted later. I would be interested in AARs, and any other info that maybe available.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best I can do for you, Andreas, is give you this Googled link to a forum with a related discussion of the L'vov campaigns. A few references are cited within. But Glantz shows in the discussion, perhaps he has a valid e-mail addy to reach in that.

Link

(First post I've done on CMBB for some time!!)

Originally posted by Andreas:

If someone owns a history or somesuch of 8.PD, can you please email me? I need some info on the action of 8.PD in combat during the first attacks of the L'vov Sandomierz Operation in July 1944. I have a Soviet map that places 8.PD at the entrance to what would become the Koltov corridor into which 3rd Guards Tank Army was inserted later. I would be interested in AARs, and any other info that maybe available.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi -

There's a book out by Glantz called 'The Battle for L'Vov July 1944' - have you checked this out yet? There's currently a used copy of it at Amazon.com.

M.Mao

Okay, I have now found a short section in Mellenthin's book on the 8.PD. Seems they did not exactly perform rivetingly (to put it mildly) during the defense against the L'vov Sandomierz Operation, with the divisional commander and one of the regimental commanders having to be relieved by Balck. Such are the perils of Auftragstaktik I guess. Still, not enough detail, and Mellenthin is notoriously useless when it comes to identifying who they actually fought against. Did the Germans really have no effing clue, or can he just not be bothered? Bloody primadonnas, those German staff officers.