Civ3 vs CM

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mystro:

Interesting thread with a consensus opinion that the game developer (BTS) should consider developing a tutorial. Without question,it would bring more player's of the Civ3 ilk into the fold. Which ask's the question...what CMBB scenario would lend itself to the easiest/best tutorial without being overly

complex..something that'll get their feet wet without drowning new players? I'd

almost bet BTS would double their sale's with this simple solution.

Why just one scenario? Why not take a programmed instruction approach like Squad Leader did and provide a few simple and short scenarios. Number 1 could be a platoon attacking a machine gun position. Number 2 could be 3 Panthers vs. 3 T-34s. Number 3 could be a slightly more complicated combined arms scenario. But in all cases, I'd make them an easy win so as not to discourage the new folks. Nothing draws a player in like watching your opponents tank explode in flames and being able to say, "I did that!"

Ace</font>

This is an interesting topic, but I experienced a very happy ending (if there is such a thing).

Here is my story:

I was reading a magazine on the ****ter one day, the name escapes me, and I saw something about this site, and the demo. I believe it was a review/write up that's point was that if you were interested in WWII tactics you should try it. So I did. Right off the bat I loved the simplicity of giving the orders. After playing the one scenario off of the demo over and over again (the name escapes me) I understood the tactial aspects of the game. . .

Anywho. . .I ordered the game, it was my first internet purchase, so you can rightfully assume that I was skeptical. I'm used to grabbing things right off the shelf with a return policy. The game arrived. I played, and played, and played somemore. The scenario I played the most was "A Walk in Paris." I played it from both sides and on and on. I digress, but the point is that I took it to a friend's house and insisted that he try it out. That night we played " A Walk in Paris" at least 5 times, and by the 2nd time he was completely hooked. I was there to show him, first hand, how to give the troops orders, what might work, what might not work. . .etc. We had a blast!

Although he has yet to order CMBB, he's broke--the drunkard smile.gif , we played CMBO a countless amount of times, trying quick battles, scenarios, campaigns, etc.

I think people can really sink their teeth into the game if they have just a passing interest in WWII. The above mentioned friend was a giant CIVII player ( I thought everyone agreed that CIVIII sucks smile.gif ), yet he absolutely loves CMBO, and in fact, I believe to this day it is the only game in town for him. Unfortunately he does not post on this site, otherwise he might have good advice for how to "turn people on" to this great game.

Ok-enough

JWH

I play Civ 3 as well. Combat mission has a much easier learning curve since you basically move and shoot but don't have to worry about economics, tech trees etc. Before others slag off at me this does not mean it is dumber game, anymore than chess is - it just means that it's pretty user friendly for the basics. I have had the same issue in getting other friends to play. I found that playing hotseat (or over the net if you have a seperate phone line to talk on) with small QB's with lots cover and hills is a good way to get people started (they like surprises and those games don't rely on knowing exactly which tank will beat which enemy tank at 824.6 metres on a cloudy day).

CIV3 players ....they're all the same....

I have a friend at work who is into Civ3 in a BIG way ... he's one of the major modders for the game (Kryten). He saw my CMBO and ran out to buy it straight away ..... guess what ... he hasnt even opened the damn thing yet !

The guy needs some therapy .... I keep telling him its time to move on from fighting with men in skirts and pointy sticks and try the real thing.

I have tried throwing thinly veilled challenges in his direction, But as he's the creator of the new Civ3 'multi-figure units' my cries are landing on deaf ears :rolleyes:

I guess some people are beyond help :D

Lou2000

Modding Civ3 and playing Civ3 are two different beasts. Modding takes a lot of effort and has it's own reward. Much like making CM scenarios must do, though I have not done that.

I mod - and play - Civ3 (Double Your Pleasure, http://civ3.bernskov.com/) and I have also played CMBO extensively. They are completely different and, while there is a considerable overlap btw their audience, there are also some that find Civ3 a lot more interesting than CM.

I'm working on getting CMBB - haven't quite gotten there yet. I need to get my hands on a proper US version instead of the defunct European one, and I happen to live in Europe. :mad:

Originally posted by usmc_grunt:

My question.. what suggestion's do you have for getting these very solid player's whom I'm sure will love this game once they've tasted it..interested. How to make the switch from a Civ3 type game to the much more mature CM genre?

Hmm, introduce them first to the Close Combat series which have a similar interface before going off the deep end into CM? smile.gif