Best defensive formations.

think of defending just a small portion of the map. consider that in general, for every large flag you defend you can leave 3 flags open.

regardless of what happens, a basic idea when the shooting starts is to have more of your stuff firing - with effect - than your opponent does in return.

by defending just a small area, if your opponent attacks piecemeal, there is a good chance of your getting an advantage.

as for the mines, you can use them to 'funnel' the opponent, or as part of your main defensive line...

you might even want to take a large chunk of your infantry and actively 'hunt' for small groups of attacking units, wipe them out, and withdraw further back before your opponent can react...

see if you can find an after action report (AAR) for the 'sunken lane' by fionn for an example of this 'active defense' tactic... of course on a large mapboard as you describe perhaps this isn't realistic for infantry on the defense...

i'm not sure of battlefront's intent regarding casualty figures in the cm battles, but the way i 'rationalize' the high casualties is to figure that 50% or more of the non-death casualties were actually soldiers suffering from 'shell-shock' or who had otherwise lost any will to fight at that moment; not physically injured but psychologically out of the battle...

the kias i have not found a way to rationalize... they seem high to me as well... perhaps that's why some players suggest that cm is a 'time-compressed' simulation...