Canister in CMBB: Realistic or Hollywood?

Jeff had previously noted that Panzer IV Universe's data on 75mm cannister might have come from a von Senger und Etterlin book, which would mean that we would still be left with one source for German cannister. It would be good if Jeff could check all of the details presented in the Panzer IV Universe entry on 75mm cannister with the info in von Senger's book.

Looking at the sources Panzer IV Universe presents for German 75mm ammo, the following list is noted:

F. M. von Senger und Etterlin, Die Kampfpanzer von 1916-1966

US Army, "TM-E 30-451; Handbook on German Military Forces, 1945"

US Army, "TM 9-1985-3/TO 39B-1A-10; German Explosive Ordnance (Projectiles and Fuzes)"

US Army, "Historical Study 20/269; Small Unit Actions During the German Campaign in Russia"

F. W. von Mellenthin, "Panzer Battles"

Walter Stutz, "Schiesslehre"

Rudolf Lusar, "Die deutschen Waffen und Geheimwaffen des 2. Weltkrieges und Ihre Weiterentwicklung"

I see at least two American TM documents on German ammo that could be possible sources for 75mm cannister details, unless someone can rule them out after close examination of the contents.

Perhaps sources other than von Senger provided the very detailed data Panzer IV Universe contains (960 9mm balls).

I'am currently tracking down the original magazine articles that Mark Diehl wrote on German ammunition, and my memory recalls a reference in the article to 75mm cannister coming in handy against Russian human wave attacks. But I'am gonna check the original article just to be sure.

[ June 28, 2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: rexford ]

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic