Overwatch units in short-LOS maps

I'm playing a Quick Battle right now where I am attacking with a 1500 point force with 5 guns, 12 MG42 HMGs, 2 Arty Spotters, and a Nashorn. The map is very tree-heavy and has pretty big hills, except of course none of the ones on my side have any cover on them. What should I do with my long range units, since they can't see much from my setup zone? I only have 1 Halftrack to tow my 5 guns with, and even farther up there aren't any good positions to set up a firebase, and there are some really good reverse slope woods near the flags for the defender to use. Am I doomed to wasting all these overwatch units?

I think that's one of the biggest reasons the AI can loose so badly sometimes, is they can't deploy their HMGs in good enough positions in the attack. There will be good overwatch positions in front of the position I'm defending, but all the AI HMGs advance with the main body, getting shot up and routing before getting set up anywhere.

How long is the game? Maybe you can just advance really slowly with the guns.

Here's what I tried:

Move up HMGs behind infantry

Move up Radio Spotter behind Infantry

Use (What is it, like a telephone or something) slow spotter for delayed preplanned barrage against reverse slope woods.

Here's what happened:

The HMGs got caught in the open by MG fire and pinned, although the infantry easily advanced across. The Radio Spotter never got to call in a barrage because he could never see far enough ahead of my troops to avoid friendly fire. The preplanned 105 barrage was a success and routed about a platoon from the flag area (so I discovered after the game).