Armor quality

Can somebody tell how armor quality influence on its ability to protect crew, and what is the mathemathical formulation of this effect?

I am a newby, and nobody have ever given me an answer, and manual contains only main words, but is really useless.

Originally posted by Inola:

Can somebody tell how armor quality influence on its ability to protect crew, and what is the mathemathical formulation of this effect?

I am a newby, and nobody have ever given me an answer, and manual contains only main words, but is really useless.

If you mean the %age quality ratings used in the game, I believe that this means that the armour resists penetration like good-quality armour of that %age thickness. So, e.g., 80mm of 90% quality armour is treated as having an effective thickness of 80 * 0.9 = 72mm.

If you mean in real life, then as far as I understand it the ultimate strength of the plate determines the resistance it offers to penetration, and I imagine has some effect on projectile shatter for those projectiles vulnerable to it, but precisely what I haven't yet discovered.

All the best,

John.

The armor quality factor reduces the effective thickness of the armor in straight multiplicative proportion. So 80mm armor with 95% quality is like 76mm armor, with 90% quality it is like 72mm armor, etc.

Angle has the largest effects on penetration, and is the main source of uncertainty about shots. Because with side angle included, you get a bit more than the slope of the plate alone, but it varies from shot angle to shot angle, considerably.

There is some residual purely random variance too, on the order of +/-5% of the numbers you see in the charts.