Actual Vs. Basis

I have a question about how aromor thickness is determined.

I was reading Ian Hogg's "The American Arsenal" and I noticed that in many cases for armor thickness there were two listings. One for "Actual" and one for "Basis".

For example for the M4 Sherman it lists for the Hull, Front: Actual-2.5" Basis-2"-4" and for Turret,Front: Actual-3" Basis-3.75".

Why the difference? Does it have something to do with the slope? If so why the range of numbers for the hull front? I thought the slope was constant.

I've seen the term 'armor basis" before but always assumed they just meant thickness. That should teach me to assume!

Cardinal Fang

Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition!

Originally posted by Cardinal Fang:

I have a question about how aromor thickness is determined.

I was reading Ian Hogg's "The American Arsenal" and I noticed that in many cases for armor thickness there were two listings. One for "Actual" and one for "Basis". [snips]

"Basis" means the thickness of armour "seen" by an armour-piercing round arriving roughly horizontally. It may be calculated using a simple cosine rule (which is in any case usually good enough for shaped charge or long-rod penetrators) or using an armour basis curve (the effect of slope against medium-velocity conventional projectiles is rather greater than a cosine rule would indicate).

All the best,

John.

"Basis" means the thickness of armour "seen" by an armour-piercing round arriving roughly horizontally. It may be calculated using a simple cosine rule (which is in any case usually good enough for shaped charge or long-rod penetrators) or using an armour basis curve (the effect of slope against medium-velocity conventional projectiles is rather greater than a cosine rule would indicate).

All the best,

John.

And my mother said I would never learn anything playing computer games. Ha! Welcome to the University of Combat Mission Online.

Sincerely,

Captain Unconscious

John D Salt,

That's what I thought it might be. Well..the "thickness of armour "seen" by an armour-piercing round arriving roughly horizontally." part anyway. I assume the variation in thickness for the hull front then means that the hull front has various degrees of slope.

You know if they'd mentioned that cosines would be useful in wargaming back when I was learning about them I would've paid more attention! Now where is that old math book?

Thanks for the answer Mr. Sa.....errr

I mean:

Thanks for the answer John D Salt!

Cardinal Fang

Have Comfy Chair. Will Travel.