The most amazing "Mad Minute" of combat in CMBB/CMBO history!

Originally posted by PiggDogg:

Dick,

Got the files. Thanks. :D

Do you have a file of the action during that mad, mad, mad world, ... er make that minute. smile.gif

Cheers, Richard

Richard,

I'm pretty sure I don't have such a file, and I'm not even sure how I would save one. Is this something that you can do when playing via email that you can;t do when playing via TCP/IP?

Dick

Originally posted by wbs:

PiggDogg,

We did not save that turn, but if you look a few posts above, you will see what I did when I plotted my turn. If you do the same, your "German" performance will be closely duplicated. If you have any questions about my plots, feel free to ask.

Perhaps Conhugeco can provide a more detailed account of his plots, and these will enable you to closely duplicate the turn that we had.

As I said earlier, Conhugeco reran the turn using approximately the same plots, and the result was even fiercer fighting. :eek:

The detailed account of my plot is as follows:

1. Completely waste your artillery barrage by plotting smoke in the town. It doesn't really matter where in the town as none of it will arrive in time to save anybody.

2. Give every unit on the board the "n" command to pick a target. Most won't have one, but do it anyway. You can also give some of the Maxims on the ridge area targets to try to deny the Germans lanes of reinforcement, but since the German won't be moving this is an entirely optional waste of ammunition.

3. Do not move the units that are already in the town. They will do good work with the "n" command.

4. Give the poor suckers outside the town an advance command into the nearest building. Or was it human wave? I don't remember, but it hardly matters, at least you can say you tried!

5. Prepare to be slaughtered. :eek:

Dick

[ June 19, 2003, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Conhugeco ]

He he

I remember the first time a wargaming mate of ours (from Squad Leader days) came around to see this 'new computer game' CM, we sat him down at the Demo 'Valley' scenario for CMBO. Except we had tricked it up and gave the German side about 4 x 200mm artillery FOs, 4 x 150mm FOs, 4 x 120mm FOs, etc. We told him that the big thing he'd notice about this game was the artillery was more effective than in Squad Leader...

Then we let them all rip. What a turn! Every last one of his boys were KIA'd in the kind of barrage that Tommy Franks would be proud of. Looked fantastic. :eek:

He was stunned, of course, but what gave the game away was our uncontrollable, rolling around the floor laughter. We only replayed that turn a dozen or so times. :D

Nice! I once modified the Paris scenario in CMBO with about 40 extra artillery spotters for the French. Big stuff. Really big stuff.

They leveled the town, but it took too long, so I reset the time to June 1944 and added the really really big stuff, if you know what I mean. Much better!

[ June 19, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Conhugeco ]

i set up a turn a while ago, just to see what it looked like.

5000 points Soviet Assault on a large town. comes to about 10,000pts. i spent every point i could on Arty. thats a lot of points.

i had them all hit the town or the patches of wood. clicked go. went and made a drink. came back. took the dog for a walk. watched a film. Titanic. it's crap.

watched the movie. there was nothing left but dust. those Russian rockets make the spookiest noise. fun though.