45 mm AT Gun Ammo Load in 41

In a PBEM QB I'm currently playing I purchased a Guards Motorized Rifle Battalion of a Guards Mechanized Divsion. Date Dec 41

The organic 45 mm AT guns have an all HE ammo load out.

The BT-7's I purchased have a mix of HE & AP.

After doing some checking this is the case for Oct Nov & Dec 41. In Jan 42 the load is mixed. The Cav units get a mixed load in 41.

Edited to note that the above is for v1.02. V1.03 gives a mix of HE & C but still no AP.

Is this some historical supply or policy screw up?

If not BTS fix or do somefink?

[ June 04, 2003, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Pfc Driscole James E ]

Originally posted by flamingknives:

A dim memory of no AP being available early war rears its ugly head, but I thought that was for 76.2mm.

While there are stories of poor quality ammo for 45mm ATG, I have never heard of AP or APC ammo shortages.

45mm ATG did pretty good against quite a few panzers during 1941.

Since 45mm was primarily an anti-tank gun one would expect AP and APBC to get priority ahead of HE.

Originally posted by Pfc Driscole James E:

In a PBEM QB I'm currently playing I purchased a Guards Motorized Rifle Battalion of a Guards Mechanized Divsion. Date Dec 41

The organic 45 mm AT guns have an all HE ammo load out.

The BT-7's I purchased have a mix of HE & AP.

After doing some checking this is the case for Oct Nov & Dec 41. In Jan 42 the load is mixed. The Cav units get a mixed load in 41.

Edited to note that the above is for v1.02. V1.03 give a mix of HE & C but still no AP.

Is this some historical supply or policy screw up?

If not BTS fix or do somefink?

You are absolutely right; just punched up a Dec '41 Guards etc and the 45mm AT guns all got HE only,together with 3 or 4 cannister rounds( 1.03)

Using the same time frame and picking individual guns, you get what you would expect; at least twice as much AP than HE.

Definately something askew here, making those battalion guns fairly useless in their given role.

I just went and created scenarios in v1.03, for October, November and December of 1941 and ran into no problems in getting a 2/3 AP ammo load for the 45mm AT gun, with 5-6 rounds of cannister per gun as well.

I redid the test in v1.02 and got the proper percentage of AP and HE (basically 2/3 to 1/3) and no cannister.

I did not see a single instance of no AP rounds included with the guns.

Note that I used the scenario editor to 'purchase' the guns and set the parameters, not the QB editor.

***EDIT ** I just redid the test in the QB editor and got the exact same results as above.

jw

[ June 04, 2003, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: jwxspoon ]

Guest PondScum

jwx, the problem occurs when you buy the 45mm guns as an integral part of a battalion. As per the other two posters I just confirmed it with the following QB settings: Dec 1941, all regions, Russian Guards Mechanized defending against the attack, and give yourself 2000 points so that you can buy a Guards Motorized Rifle Battalion. In 1.02, the four 45mm AT guns that come with the battalion will all have 50 rounds of HE ammo.

It, as Pondscum says, only happens when purchasing the GMR Battalion. If you buy guns by themselves or as part of a Cav battalion they get AP. If you buy them as part of a GMR Battalion they get no AP in Oct, Nov and Dec 41. They do get AP in Jan 41. I did not check dates after Jan 41.

The same proved true for me in building a test scenario in Dec 41.