Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

A fallen soldier needs YOUR support! PLEASE read!

The government of Vienna (Austria) has decided, to remove the grave of Major Walter Nowotny.

It's not enough for them to take the honorary-grave away. They even want a grave-desecration.

In times, when former enemys are reaching the hands over the graves of the fallen soldiers (whoever has seen this i.e. in Stalingrad, will hardly be able to suppress the tears), words are not enough to describe this kind of baseness.

The biggest Austrian daily newspaper, the 'Neue Kronen Zeitung' (3 million readers per 8 million inhabitants), publishes every day a side with reader-letters. Due to the big amount of letters they receive against this barbary, they are publishing almost every day one letter dealing with the planned grave-desecration of Major Walter Nowotny.

Although the 'Kronen Zeitung' has a lot of influence, all the other austrian mass-media are concealing this, including the TV-stations.

As every German and Austrian knows, their 'tolerance' and 'humanity' isn't existing, if german soldiers should be treated correctly and their honor needs to be protected.

The 'Kronen Zeitung' is even plublishing letters in English, so it definitely makes sense, if you would write your opinion.

Here are two of them:

Sogar aus Queensland

This is an e-mail at the supposed removal of Nowotny's grave. I'm a person who is apolitical and has no Nazi sympathies, but I'm distressed as to why a soldier's grave should be moved. I also protest when the French government wanted to build an airport through the Commonwealth war cemetary. I feel that the resting of all soldiers are sacred.

Willian Gracie, Queensland, Australia

Ein Amerikaner schreibt

Please do not remove the grave of Walter Nowotny. Let him rest in peace! From an American. Let bygones be bygones.

Scott Graham, per e-mail

For those of you, who want more information about Major Walter Nowotny, here a few data:

Walter Nowotny was born in 1920.

He freely joined the Luftwaffe.

On September 4th 1943 he received the Oak Leaf (to the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross) (Eichenlaub zum Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes).

On September 22nd 1943 the Swords of the Oak Leaf (Schwerter des Eichenlaubes zum Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes).

On Oktober 19th 1943 the Brilliants to the Swords of the Oak Leaf (Brillianten des Eichenlaubes zum Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes).

He was the highest dekorated Austrian in the Wehrmacht and only 27 soldiers received the Brilliants.

Although it was forbidden to him, to fly any longer but to educate other pilots only, he preferred to fly again.

Major Walter Nowotny died at the age of 24 on November, 8th 1944 due to a turbine-defection of his Me262 nearby Osnabrück.

He was the winner of 258 dogfights.

And he was the leader of the first jet-fighter Geschwader in history.

The city of Vienna dedicated 1956 a honory-grave to him, among other things because of his success in denying strategic bomb-throws against the civilians in Vienna.

It's interesting to know, that this grave is legally a soldier's grave and falls under the laws for war-graves, which are protecting in theory all fallen soldiers, no matter of the nation and confession.

If a nation dishonors soldiers graves, it's definitely not a civilized one.

But how should a nation be called, if it even dishonors the own fallen soldiers?

Is it possible to sink any lower?

It would be great, if you could write your personal opinion, about the plan to disturb the dead person-silence of this brave fallen soldier.

The e-mail address is:

leser@kronenzeitung.at

Thank you all very much.

Schoerner

Ps: if someone could offer some web-space, I could include one photo of Maj. Nowotny and another one showing his grave

[ July 17, 2003, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Schoerner ]