How long to make a quick battle

I know some battles are decided quickly and others just take a long time. But do you guys have any rules of thumb about how many turns to set up a quick battle for, based on the point size of the game?

I ask because I've recently started playing some email games and the length is more of an issue there. If you're just playing the AI you can always guess a little long and when the battle looks over it's easy to just click go a lot to finish it up. With an email opponent extra time means lots of emails back and forth when you both already know what the outcome is, really. On the other hand, you don't want to go too short and not let the battle play out to a natural conclusion.

How do you guys set the number of turns for various point sizes?

And you can speed up the pbem process by doing two turns in each email. It requires an opponent you can trust - in other words, one you would comfortably play with even if you knew each other's password.

I forget the thread(s) where it's explained, but I guess I could do that if you like. I use it myself. Or a search should turn it up.

But the original question is still a valid one, though I expect there is no simple answer. The length also has to do with balance - not just avoding excess turns. It's not just a question of point size, however, the map size and possibly battle type also enter into the equation.