Ambush clarification

Quick question--

If I want to ambush units with my infantry, I know that I should give them a covered arc command. However, should I "hide" them or not?

Will hiding units open fire as soon as as someone enters their covered arc (no matter its radius), or do they only fire when I un-hide them?

Thanks!

At least based on my experience, hiding units will open fire if an enemy unit wanders into their covered arc.

However, it's important to remember that hiding units don't spot anywhere near as well as non-hiding units, so depending on the spcific conditions, a hiding unit might have trouble seeing units entering its covered arc in the first place, or it might also be vulnerable to being snuck up on from an unexpected angle. Especially if your ambushing units are in good cover and you are playing EFOW, it's usually not necessary to put them on hide - stationary, non-firing infantry units in good cover are VERY hard to spot on EFOW until you get very close to them.

Cheers,

YD

Hide them....

It makes them harder to spot with the trade-off that supposedly it's harder for them to spot the enemy from their hiding position.

Personally, I've never noticed a great deal of difference with their spotting ability when hidden and they DO engage when their arc is compromised.

Also, pay attention to the "stealth" bonus of the HQ in command of the ambushing units. The stealthier they are, the better the ambush you can spring if you pick the right kind of ground.

Regards,

Badger

I hide the units with covered arcs, but leave the HQ they're under unhidden. Thanks to the borg spotting the hidden units know something has come into their arc because the HQ unit 'tells' them. HQs are smaller units so they are harder to spot. They don't open up as readily as other units either, so you can get away with leaving them unhidden.

Like SgtKelly said leave the HQ unhidden but give them a tiny cover arc, this will prevent them from opening up before you want them to. Also they are a 'binocular' unit, so they will aid in long range spotting while unhidden if they have a good LOS.

[ May 02, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Jagdwyrm ]