Unrestricted Forces: Can It Work For QB play?

Does anybody ever play with unrestricted forces in their games?

My theory is it all comes down to tree coverage as to what units people select playing under this option. Most people playing unrestricted forces in a medium trees or < than setting would have 70%-80% of their forces be made up of armor. Anything less and their opponent would be given the upper hand. Of course maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you can win in this setting if you know how to use smokescreens and mass amounts of infantry.

If the parameters are set to "heavy trees", that would involve a different strategy altogether. Now I would think that no more than 30%-40% of one's forces would include armor. But maybe you can take more and somehow get away with a victory. Flame vehicles and a few infantry maybe?

What are your thoughts on the unrestricted setting and can it be used successfully in a QB setting? How does it affect ladder players?

[ July 27, 2003, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Colonel_Deadmarsh ]

It could be useful when setting up historical force set ups involving for example Finnish forces when you need to have more artillery support or defensive positions than the usual point allocation would allow for. Unfortunately unrestricted forces do not extend to arty support or fortifications. :(

Colonel

You are forgetting the equally important hilliness factor. Lumpy ground plus trees can be a nightmare for ubertanks. Or even normal tanks with AT's being wheeled into woodland

Even if one were able to find commanding positions for your tanks smoke or heavy artillery can really ruin your day.

My brother and I play unrestricted - apart from period in the war - and it is not a problem [provided is not flat terrain and/or treeless]

I am currently winning a 4500 point Russian attack against a dug in human enemy with unrestricted forces. I bought two tanks.

My hordes of bitter, emotionally disturbed infantry supported by big, angry, feisty machine guns and a blistering barrage of the most furious TNT-filled artillery you've ever laid scorched eyes on dealt a tremendous blow to my foe. :mad:

I don't think that it's wise to go that armour heavy (70-80%), unless the map is REALLY open and you are playing the Germans and have access to Panthers or similar (Panzer IV lang could do if it's 1942 as the Russian ATGs can't hurt them at range). Going armour heavy on an open map as Russians is a disaster waiting to happen, German ATGs will have a field day.

I bring a combined arms force to every game if at all possible, a balance between infantry, tanks, artillery and support weapons. I will go a bit more tank heavy on an open map, but I will also include a fair number of ATGs with me to kill my opponen's tanks.