Is Mr. "Berlichtingen" still around? Ops Question (Small spoilers)

Say, has anyone managed to win the On-CD Operation "Penny Packets"? If you read on, expect some small scenario spoilers.

I tried as the Briefing suggested...using the first night battle and my elite Para-Pioneers to take the forward russian defense line (including their two flags, bringing the map balance to three russian, three german flags).

That was quite successfull, if hard on the Company Engineers.

The morning after I reinforced those lines with the remaining Company Grenadiers and everthing else we had - and got run over by what seemed to be two Companys of Tanks and Infantry, or some other insane amount of russian material.

In the third battle (of six) I retreated the remaining broken platoon from the map...no sense in wasting them.

Total kills were LARGELY in my favor...a lot of mortars, MGs, Bunkers and Tanks taken out, and more infantry casualitys on the enemy side than on mine.

Of course, the Op as a whole was still a glaring defeat.

So, I dont really see how one would be supposed to win this battle - even against AI. Force Balance is massive in favor of the russians, and the germans are very short on heavy weapons.

Ideas, suggestions?

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

So, I dont really see how one would be supposed to win this battle - even against AI. Force Balance is massive in favor of the russians, and the germans are very short on heavy weapons.

Ideas, suggestions?

The first couple of turns of the first battle can make or break you. Start out hiding and try some light probing to discover the initial Russian positions. With the flamethrowers, you should be able to wipe out the intitial Russian defenders. after the first battle, you have to weather the counter attack, and that's where you have to be careful. Your main method of dealing with their tanks is going to be your Pioniers. They are armed with satchel charges and magnetic mines. Don't worry so much about the VLs, worry about ambushing his tanks. the Russians have an overwhelming amount of equipment, but their quality is complete crap. You need to wear him down over the first battles while conserving your own force. Look to take VLs in the last battles, and don't try for them all. This is winnable.

The historic outcome was that the Fallschirm-Pionier-Kompanie stopped the Soviet offensive (several divisions) and when the smoke cleared, the 10 survivors were sent home to Germany

Ah okay. Thanks for the Advice. Seems me burning up half of the FJ Company in the first battle wasn't very clever...and to make problems worser, they were not resupplied during the wait for the next battle.

I can see how having a Pioneer Company in good shape would help to stop the counter attack.

I did give you a fairly nice review at the Depot, though ;) .

BTW, as said in the review, I really like the setting and map. Even though the high difficulty put me off a little, I love the layout of the trenches, the forrest setting, the little road...small details that make this a lot of fun.