Fighting tigers

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

38 AA guns?! :eek:

i turned around and attempted 38 soviet aa guns (494 points) versus 20 veteran german snipers (500 points) on the same map... the aa guns didn't do well at all... couldn't spot a single sharpshooter as the gun crews were picked off one by one...

so unbalanced forces such as tigers, aa guns, etc... all have their counter...

usually, probably the best force to handle all-around contingencies is a balanced one...

here is my take: if players stick to more or less balanced forces with both long and short-range AT capability, mortars and sharpshooters to deal with gun-happy defenses, and some infantry and artillery, and some kind of aa capability, that kind of force will have something available to combat whatever combination the other player might think up... the battle results tend to be closer to 50-50...

on the other hand when the players start purchasing unbalanced forces such as all kv2s in 1941, or all aa guns.... then the battle often turns out to be a clear victory or loss.... 85-15 or vice versa....

the reason for playing qbs like this; with no purchasing limits and rarity off, is the unique situations it can generate....

if strictly historical is what i'm after, there's always the scenario depot...

so yes unbalanced forces are often a nightmare to face (or as it turns out, to field)... but that's what gives such qbs their 'edge'... just my .02...

[ December 26, 2003, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: manchildstein II ]