Trench problem

I would like to add few tricks as well:

Use special units abilities like fire throwers if you can get them close without being seen in woods or in a city, move and sneak at the last moment, they fire with a devastating effects - usually routing the enemy.

Do not send them alone but keep them with other units attacking.

The trench symbol I position on the map shows a simple thick straight line, but does the symbol accurately depict the trench as it's treated by the game. If my machine gun is positioned along that line and shooting straight down the trench, are the men in that trench completely vulnerable? I don't expect so. I bet the game model of that trench is a lot different from a thick straight line.

Trenches are tough.

More firepower works for almost any situation. HE never fails to discourage a determined defender. High trajectory shells work nicely.

Nothing is a one-size-fits all situation but whenever possible I like to have supressive fire from multiple angles and multiple weapons types. 90 degrees even helps, especially if the HE is limited.

Then (if possible) and once the enemy's (hopefully) pinned I try to assault the trench from the edge. This usually often means the enemy can't bring his whole broadside to bear.

I try to use a leader with good morale and combat bonuses.

If I can get a flamethrower in that corner behind the assaulting units, he's gunna lose that trench to me.

If the trench is slightly behind a crest it's very difficult to even supress him.

It's worth the effort to work your way around behind him or to the side of him so that crest no longer plays to his advantage.

Crests seems to work in the reverse of the height advantage that these guys are tellin ya to try to get against trenches.

That's my observations anyhow.

Sometimes I just plain bypass this tough nut if at all possible. One of my favorite plays is to ignore it so he's forced to vacate it in order to deal with a crisis somewhere else on the board.

someone'll come along and say "smoke!"