More unit info in game?

Guest J Pender

Guest J Pender

When I run the game I prefer small company sized engagements, during the battle I will often track the ammo level and casualties of each squad/AFV as they change via spreadsheet. I will also keep a log of my unit’s actions and general results of each turn. I find that tracking the goings on of each turn this way results in me better employing my forces and provides the needed info for a detailed AAR. After the battle has ended I assign KIA’s to each of the units who received casualties based on number of casualties and how they were incurred. I like to examine the status of my force after an engagement trying to determine the cost vs results they obtained. I will also often break contact with the enemy when casualties get to high trying to get as many men out of the line of fire before ending the game.

When using armor I always pay particular attention to hit locations that cause crew casualties and issue the casualties and KIA’s to the crew as appropriate. I will even sometimes roll die to determine which member in the turret gets hit when casualties occur.

Obviously as a squad takes casualties there is a chance that the squad leader will become injured or killed, this would obviously affect the future performance of the squad. It would nice to have a feature that would track the succession of command in the squad and subsequent degradation of the squad’s performance during the game. It would also be nice to use the same squads/platoons from game to game. You could track performance and keep a tally of things such as infantry AFV close assault kills, AFV/Gun vs AFV kills, Tank Ace status and other such info.

Do any of you keep records like this; is this a feature that others would enjoy as well? Is this to detailed for the scope of the battles that are fought in CM? Hell is it even possible to put this into effect?

Maybe in a future CM we will see some of this stuff employed.

Just a ramble; but since I can't remember the last time I submitted a post I thought it was time to get involved in the discussion of the best WWII game around.

Take care,

From sea, John Pender USCG

Surely you've checked out Biltong's Campaign Rules! It is a well-thought out campaign where you command an infantry company (and 3 tanks) starting in June 41. Some battles you get reinforcements and additional troops, some you don't. You track kills and casualties for each squad so that they can improve in experience over several battles. It's a fun way to play a lot of different types of battles against the AI. Having a vested interest in keeping your core company alive dramatically changing your strategy and priorities. Maybe it's better to piss off your CO and not take the flag, than to lose most of your men trying.

There's always a biltong thread going on here somewhere. Check out

http://home.swipnet.se/supersulo/biltong/

to download rules, spreadsheets, and additional maps.

Dr. Rosenrosen

Guest J Pender

Thanks for the tip Doc,

The existence of Biltong's Campaign Rules answers my question concerning other player’s interest in this type of unit info and tracking detail.

I took a look at on of the threads on BCR and it looks interesting. Unfortunately while underway I am not able to dedicate much time to playing CMBB (once a week if I am lucky) never mind trying to download and learn this new system. I will give it a shot late October when I get back inport, I hope (A short five week inport leaves very little time for gaming) Oh well.

Any indication around the community that anything like this may make it into a feature CM?

Take care,

John

Originally posted by J Pender:

Any indication around the community that anything like this may make it into a feature CM?

Take care,

John

Well, that question does surface on the Biltong thread periodically. BTS is quite tight-lipped about the specifics of future versions, which is understandable for software that's still very much in development. So nobody knows for sure.

My best guess is that it will not be in future versions as this dramatically changes the original scope of the game, making it less tactical and more campaign. I do know that they are very supportive of third-party efforts like Biltong's and have even done some bug fixes specifically to accomodate BCR players.

Sorry to hear that you are so busy. BCR can be time consuming at first, but it is worth it whenever you get a chance to try. Good luck!

Dr. Rosenrosen

Do any of you keep records like this; is this a feature that others would enjoy as well? Is this to detailed for the scope of the battles that are fought in CM? Hell is it even possible to put this into effect?

I have attempted to do this from time to time but I find that it would quickly became too tedious and time consuming to continue. I have been hoping that sometime in the future games such as CM would incoporate some sort of way of dumping a .txt file that could be read by EXCEL or some other speadsheet that would capture some of this kind of minute game stat information. However, I doubt that this will happen anytime soon in that the game developers have bigger fish to fry than helping gamers keep detailed records of their games. However, by using a method similar to the one described above, it might be possible to minimize the time and effort required to develop this type of record keeping in that it would only require the addition of software to perform the data capture and .txt file dumps and would not require the development of embedded GUI's in the game to view the data (since that would come along for "free" in the EXCEL speadsheet).

Perhaps a selling feature that might eventually entice a game develper to add this type of functionality into their product would be the potential for the game developers, themseleves, to use this feature to debug their game software under development and to add in developing scenarios as well as its use as an aid to any game players who want to keep detailed records. I hope that this capability might happen someday. At the same time I do not expect that it will any time soon. Meanwhile, I guess that I can content myself with all the wonderful new features that we do get so I am not complaining. smile.gif

Guest J Pender

Hello all,

Well after checking into BCR and Rob O's quick campaign I have a better understanding of how to use what CM has to offer to make my own Company level campaings. I will incorperate some of the ideas from both BCR and the Quick Campaign along with my own to make a workable set of in house rules for my future battles.

Thanks to all who posted.

Also can you tell me who makes up the Co and Plt HQ's (German): Plt Commander, Exec, Ops, Comms, seurity something like that? The more detail the better including ranks.

Take care,

John

I have just quickly looked thru the CMBO forum, but I didn't notice anything like BCR or ROQC for CMBO. I remember back when the CMHQ had such a thing, but is there anything more current and easier to handle?

Thanks!

Donan

I haven't had a chance to look at the CMBO SE I bought. Is there such a device sitting in those mode files?