Casualties

I've tried to do some searching on these subject, but didn't come up with much.

What was the fate of the average soldier injured in combat? How many die of their wounds, get sent home, or return to combat? I found some stats that indicate ~30% die from their wounds, but nothing more than that. For those that return to combat, what was their average time recovering?

Also, I remember reading something about the distribution of engagements in WWII (ie., % of Assaults fought, % of ME's fought, etc.), but I can't seem to find it anymore. Anyone have info on that?

Originally posted by yuvuphys:

What was the fate of the average soldier injured in combat? How many die of their wounds, get sent home, or return to combat? I found some stats that indicate ~30% die from their wounds, but nothing more than that. For those that return to combat, what was their average time recovering?

Also, I remember reading something about the distribution of engagements in WWII (ie., % of Assaults fought, % of ME's fought, etc.), but I can't seem to find it anymore. Anyone have info on that?

Medical treatment varied from army to army and campaign to campaign. Who were you chiefly concerned with? 91,000 Germans surrendered at Stalingrad and most of them died of disease. A US soldier wounded in Normandy or Anzio, within easy transport of a field hospital, stood a much better chance of living. Not to mention the introduction of penicillin which combated infection effectively.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by yuvuphys:

Medical treatment varied from army to army and campaign to campaign. Who were you chiefly concerned with? 91,000 Germans surrendered at Stalingrad and most of them died of disease. A US soldier wounded in Normandy or Anzio, within easy transport of a field hospital, stood a much better chance of living. Not to mention the introduction of penicillin which combated infection effectively. </font>

The most fundamental research from Russian side is the book "Russia and USSR in the wars of XX century: Casualties of armed forces. Statistical research" under the supervision of Gen. Col. Krivosheev.

book.jpg

Unfortunatly, i never heared if it was translated to english/published at the West.

Here is an excerp about soviet armed forced losses in WWII

http://www.soldat.ru/doc/casualties/book/chapter5_08.html

Its in russian, but look at the tables in the chapter.

First table

Fatal casualties of RKKA and VMF (navy) by the years and quartals.

1st column: Period, years and quartals. (the bottom three rows are "total in war with germany", "total in the Far East campain", "total during WWII"/

2nd : KIA and died during evacuation

3rd: died from wounds in hospital

4th: Died from deceases and accidents

5th: MIA and POW

6th: Total

Second table (or a part 2 of table 1): Medical losses

Medical loss is considered a person who was detached from his regiment for medical reason for at least one full day (24 h). A single person could be counted as a several medical loss, in case of multiple wounds/deceases. Its using the same "years and quartals" grid as the first table

1st column: Wounded, Shocked, Burned

2nd columt: Got sick

3rd columt: Freezed

4th: Total