Damaged ground and bogging

Folks

Does anyone know if there is an increased chance of a tank bogging if it is crossing damaged ground? I'm not talking about shell craters - that is an obvious point, but instead about ground pocked with, for example, 81mm mortar holes?

I have noticed on 3 occasions now tanks bog in such areas in dry and open land, and am just wondering if this is chance or not.

Cheers

Al

Originally posted by Alastair Anderson:

I'm not talking about shell craters - that is an obvious point, but instead about ground pocked with, for example, 81mm mortar holes?

I wouldn't expect them to be big enough to noticeably effect bogging. Shell or bomb craters, on the other hand, might do the job nicely, especially if they had been there long enough to accumulate water.

I have noticed on 3 occasions now tanks bog in such areas in dry and open land, and am just wondering if this is chance or not.
There is a finite but real chance of a vehicle bogging in even the most favorable terrain. This makes sense if you think about what a single unseen stump or rock can do to a track or axle or oilpan. Never mind that tracks will just break sometimes due to careless driving or for no obvious reason at all.

Michael

[ August 15, 2003, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]