After examination of the Mapping Mission editor.

What I think people should understand which makes this editor AWESOME, as I wrote above =P, is that now you can finally use real satellite photos or maps and import them into the editor as coverage/altitude/you name it maps to create as close to real life landscapes as you want.

This is just awesome =)

And yes I accidentally made this a separate posting =O oops..

[ January 18, 2003, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: hardcampa ]

Cemetery is misspelled ("cemetary").

There's no elevation for 9 m, 14 m, 19m, 24m, 29 m, etc. All the elevations ending in 4 or 9 have been left out. The setting goes up to 318 (???).

When I import a BMP file, I get readings like 117 and 231... how will these translate into CMBB's 0-20 level rendering?

It needs a warning/save box when you exit.

Personally would prefer the colour elevations to show simply squares without numbers: screen is way too hard to read with those tiny 3-digit numbers.

• 1 month later...

I only just noticed this thread.

The reason every fourth elevation level is skipped is discussed in the documentation. Mapping Missions allows 256 separate elevation values. An elevation change of one level represents a change of 1.25 meters (the minimum contour interval for CMBB). However, MM displays elevation in meters, not levels (this is for the benefit of mapmakers working from actual maps that want to match elevations as closely as possible). MM rounds off fractions when displaying elevations. Hence level 1 = 1.25 meters, displayed "1"; level 2 = 2.5 meters, displayed "2"; level 3 = 3.75 meters, displayed "3"; and level 4 = 5.0 meters, displayed "5".

When MM exports elevation, it first looks at the area you are exporting and checks the range of elevations found. It then figures out whether the range will fit in 20 levels at 1.25m contours, then checks 2.5 and finally 5m contours. If it still won't fit (if the elevation range is more than 100 meters) it proportionally compresses elevation differences so they will just fit in 20 5m contours.

Thanks for the spell-check, I'll fix that in 1.03. Also in 1.03 are warnings if you try to quit or open a new map without saving, and more options for elevation display (you can customize the font used, for example). I'm chasing a bug I introduced in 1.03 but it should be released this weekend or early next week.