Best Fire Option For Surprised Infantry?

I'm brand new to CMBO and CMBB and love these games. I am playing my first PBEM game (CMBO)and have come across an interesting situation:

I have a German flamethrower team on a flat area on top of a very small hill next to a road. The hill overlooks a town and I have a pioneer infantry sqaud out in front of my flamethrower team and in the LOS of the enemy village. My opponent just rolled out an armored car from the village and turned off the road and up the hill. I know he cannot see my flamethrower team which is lying down and away from the hilltop. He thinks he is swinging around behind the rest of the Pioneer Infantry platoon which is in plain view. Here is my question:

The flamethrower team is HIDING and is facing 90 degrees away from the front of the approaching armored unit. Time is of essence as he is about 40 meters away. Is it necessary to "rotate" the flamethrower team to face him and fire upon him? Or can I just do nothing and let the unit fire from a hidden position like an ambush when the Armored unit crests the hill top? Would "rotating" the team take them out of "hide" status?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU VETERANS WOULD DO to best deal with the armored unit in this situation (in terms of issuing or not issuing orders to the flamethrower team). I really would love to see them get off the first shot of liquid flame! THANKS.

If you're confident the FT team won't be in LOS of an opposing unit, rotate it, otherwise leave it in place and allow it to target the armoured car when it closes the range. You might also set an ambush marker, though I'm not sure whether the FT will rotate automatically in that case.

Hi guys,

kind of an anti-climactic result....so far.

Apparently, he spotted my pioneer platoon FIRST and began engaging it. The FT team stood up to fire and then laid right back down. I think they are just out of range. And now he probably knows they are there. Interestingly, the AC got to the crest of the hill and then backed up a few meters! WILL UNITS BACK UP ON THEIR OWN (vehicles) WHEN THEY COME ACROSS A CERTAIN THREAT EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T ORDER THEM TO MOVE?

Will let you know if I finally get these guys!

Happy to report the following: the M8 greyhound AC decided to stick around at the crest of the hill and blast away at the Pioneer squad. Well, I decided to run the pioneer platoon HQ and his staff right past the AC to it's right hoping it would spin and be "diverted" allowing the FT team to get off its shot. The AC ingored the commanding officer and continued ripping away at the pioneer squad. Well, that gave the FT team time to stand up and toast the AC crew anyway....and that they did. The "Info" box credited them with the kill. However, the crew which abandoned the AC was gunned down in 30 seconds by the platoon HQ!! What team work. I replayed it about 10 times. There was a lot of yelling. I think a couple of guys caught fire. This is too fun, guys. On the whole, in my first scenario, I'm doing fair, but can see I'm "one step behind" in most combat categories. But "British Tommy" is teaching me. :D