Wind/Temperature effects

I just recently acquired CMBB and was wondering about some of the additional weather effects that were added since CMBO.

The manual lists some temperature effects for fatigue, optics, and MG jams. Nothing is listed for extreme cold effects on personnel or vehicles. Any sign this was modelled in the game?

I also couldn't find any mention of in-game effects of wind. I might expect real-life effects on sound contacts, spotting (in bad weather), or smoke dispersal. Is any of that modelled as well?

I am quite sure winds are not modelled in the game, certainly not the way you describe.

There are rumours of an improved weather engine in the new CM game, but don't count on advanced stuff like sound contacts fading due to hard winds...

Spotting however in bad weather IS modelled. Especially damp weather, fog and smoke, as it logically would.

Thanks Yskonin,

The demo and the game implemented visual and sound effects of wind on trees (very soothing, if it wasn't for the sound of distant gunfire ;) ). I was hoping/fearing I would have to consider visibility into the wind during rain and snow, or watch my smokescreens get shredded in high winds. I'm struggling with little details like maneuver and concentration of firepower as it is...

Wind,atleast in CMBB,does affect smoke/debris clouds,and strong winds will quickly blow away your smoke screens.I was also under the impression that long range tank fire in strong winds had an effect of making the round slightly less accurate,however,I am not sure about that.

Weather,even the limited weather in CMBB,can have a much larger impact on the game than you realize.The environmental conditions should always be one of the first things you look at when starting a battle.

Actually, if you run some tests, you'll find that wind has quite a number of effects, *including* dispersal of smoke screens, reduction of sound contacts, and also reduction of gun accuracy, especially at longer ranges.

For a real hoot, check out the accuracy of on-map mortars in a high wind. I've seen mortar projectiles land as far as 200m off target in a high wind!

I have not tested whether wind directly affects visibility at long ranges, either when it is precipitating or not.

One thing I haven't figured out is what, if any, effect the direction of the wind has on things. Given that BFC went to the trouble of indicating the wind direction, the logical assumption is that it has some sort of effect. Smoke screens, for example, should migrate downwind over time, but I've never seen this effect. Then again, I haven't looked for it either. . .

Cheers,

YD

Wind direction has an effect on the spreading of fires. (Unfortunately the game doesn't have 'smell contacts'. In my view, fresh troops would have less of a smell than veterans who've been in front for a year, but OTOH after an artillery barrage the conscripts make the biggest stink.)

Thanks everyone for the replies...

The bit about the mortar fire looks like a particularly important safety tip as I often call in artillery fire fairly close (100-200m) to my own positions. Would hate to have discovered this firing into a headwind :eek: