timing between arty salvoes..

Fellas can anybody clue me as to the timing between salvoes of arty of different caliber? I mean I understand the number of tubes and the number of rounds, but I figure it would help alot when planning/timing a fire mission if I had a rough idea of how many rounds that battery of 150MM arty is likely to fire in any given minute. :confused:

thanks in advance!

I suppose you could get The Big Book of Artillery and note the rate of fire for each kind of weapon in the game, and then multiply that by the number of guns in the battery. Or you could just set up a test scenario with all the different kinds first on one side and then the other, fire them off and count how many shots each one delivers.

Hey! You could even keep careful notes and publish them here on the board. Then you'd be famous!

:D

Michael

I ran tests to determine this back when CMBB first came out. I think I still have the results stored away somewhere.

Unfortunately, I'm away from home and don't have access to the files right now, but I'll see if I can find them and post the average salvo times for various calibers when I get home on Sunday.

I'll post here if I can find them.

Cheers,

YD

My very unscientific recollection is that 105mm howtizers fire about four times per tube per minute. Mortars of about 81mm maybe six to eight times per tube per minute. Howitzers of about 150mm somewhere around three times per tube per minute.

But take those figures with a grain of salt. They could be off +/- 50%.

Michael

[Edit: Hit the "Add Reply" button sooner than I meant - more coming. . .]

Whups, sorry. . . I forgot about this one.

At any rate, I did some digging any my records are only partial; I know I did more calibres, including the Russian ones, but I can only find one sheet with some the German results. IIRC, Russian salvo times are very similar for nearly equivalent calibers (i.e., 152mm vs. 150mm). If I find more, I'll update this post.

These results should be pretty reliable - I basically recorded the 'release time' for the first 10 salvos of each spotter type, so the numbers below represent an average salvo time from a fair number of volleys. By 'release time' I mean the actual second that the spotter's ammo count gets decreased. The shells generally land anywhere from 1-10 seconds after this point, but *always* on the same turn the ammo count gets decreased (hence the occasional 10 second long 60th second of a turn).

Anyway, here's what I recorded for average time between salvos. Be aware that experience of the spotter affects salvo times - the higher the experience, the faster the salvos come in. All results below are for a 'Regular' spotter.

All times rounded to the nearest 1/2 sec:

German:

120mm mortar: 12.5 seconds

150mm howitzer (2 tube): 29.5 seconds

150mm howitzer (4 tube): 31 seconds

170mm: 37 seconds (NOTE: sampled only 4 intervals here, so results potentially less accurate)

210mm: 57.5 seconds (NOTE: sampled only 4 intervals here, so results potentially less accurate)

240mm: 127 seconds (NOTE: sampled only 7 intervals here, so results potentially less accurate. Also, with 240mm the range in inteval is VERY high - the shortest interval was only 1:37. The longest was 3:02!)

Hope this helps. Once again, if I find the rest of the results, I'll be sure and post.

Cheers,

YD

[ September 09, 2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: YankeeDog ]