infra red night fighting equipment...

I couldn't believe what I was reading , but it would appear that several vehicles such as the Marder , something called the "Uhu SdKfz 251" , the PAK 40 and Panthers where fitted with IR lights and sights. So as to enable them to engage targets in poor light conditions. Is this modelled in CMBB? I have no clue when this technology came into play or how widespread it was deployed. I don't believe it makes an appearance in CMBB at any stage , however it might make for some interesting (albeit one sided) night time senarios smile.gif

The intial IR testing was done with *60 Panther Ausf. G, from 4 Panther Abt fitted with the F.G. 1250:

1./Pz.Regt 6

1./Pz.Regt 11

1./Pz.Regt 24

1./Pz.Regt 130

The tests were considered an failure & the FG.1250's removed & the Panther Abts returned back to the front.

A 2nd test was conducted on 12.02.45 with F.G. 1250's mounted on the 1st Kompanie Panther G's from Pz.Abt 101 from Fuehrer Grenadier Division, and the tests were successful.

In 1945 5 Pz Regt's were shipped Panther Ausf.G mit F.G. 1250 Ie,:

1./Pz.Regt.6 01.03.45 - 10

4./K.p./Pz.Regt 11 .08.04.45 - 10

1./Pz.Regt.29 05.04.45 - 10

1./Pz.Regt. 130 23.03.45 - 10

Ausbildungs Lehrgang Fallinbostel 16.03.45 - 4.

As for an verified combat instance F.G.1250 equipped Panther's with IIIrd Pz.Korps & IV SS Pz.Korps (40 + Panthers) destroyed the Soviet 18th Tank Korpus during the Vistula Order fighting.

The F.G. 1250 consisted of, a front lens unit with 7 lens with a 1:1 feild of veiw @ 30^, (1:15 @ 10^ on the Uhu) a monocular sight 5x magnification,(10x on the Uhu) granulated for Pzgr.39 & SprGr., Type 126 18kv Infra Red imageing tube. 200 Watt screened IR searchlight & a G.G. 400, 400watt generator, a battery & a high voltage transformer.

*See: Jentz Thomas L. Germany's Panther Tank.

*Waters John. German: Infra Red Sight Development During WWII.

Regards, John Waters