New CMBB ME @ The Proving Grounds

Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

I just read through the beginning part of the information on that scenario. Sounds like something I shall have to try! smile.gif

Huzzah - and I see from your profile that, along with Michael Dorosh, it seems that there are at least three CMers here in Cowtown.

Do you plan on giving one of the two "vs AI" versions a go or do you have a 2nd player lined up for the 2 player version? If you’re going to play vs the AI, I am currently leaning towards “Free to Place Units” rather than the “Stick to Scenario Default” that I originally planned on.

“Free to Place Units” rather than the “Stick to Scenario Default” that I originally planned on.

figures, the one time i switched the setting it would be wrong.

anyway, it was a fun game but i had some comments:

SPOILERS!!!

highlight to make them show up.

<table><tr><td bcolor=#a58f50 color=#a58f50>

<font color=#a58f50>

axis ai vs russkie me.

my plan was for me to sit back and let the germans come at me. i figured any points i lost for not exiting would be made up for by the germans losing a greater number trying to exit. a little gamey maybe...

i set up a defense and had my guys start walking. then the next turn more guys appeared! i was a bit miffed that i had to plot more troop movements so soon. even more troops were to arrive. arghhh...

my defense held up well, i had a lot of commanders with extra command/combat abilities. the factory was my main redoubt. the germans put up a stiff fight. the forest at the left was a blood bath. luckily, the reinforcements walked moved there just in time, so maybe the immediate reinforcement timing was a good thing...

after holding off the germans with some major ammo expenditure, i managed to get my crack arty spotters up front. i was reckless with one of them and he was killed, the other managed to drop good fire on the germans on the far bank.

at the same time tanks kept rushing towards me. my reinforcement russian tanks were moved into position between the houses and directly opposite the rightmost bridge. after some major explosions, i eventually got almost a 2:1 kill ratio in tanks, mostly due to the germans rushing the rightmost bridge.

i had fun in the scenario. i didn't get much use out of my anti-tank rifles and snipers since the viewing range was so short.

i only got a draw since i gamily didn't try to exit, assuming the germans had units that would have to exit (there was that exit sign for the germans). i think you mentioned in you briefing spoiler section about that. (i lost ~3000 points from units not exiting, the germans had ~3000 points lost from casualties)

maybe fewer reinforcements? i kept getting annoyed that i had more guys to adjust right after i did a major unit plotting. my guys managed to walk in just in time, so i don't know how much you want to fool with the timing or the map.

is it necessary to make my units exit?

</font></td></tr></table>

Possible SPOILERS

I kept the ENEMY EXIT setting ON just to mess with your head for the first playing; obviously this decreases the replay value, but I'm primarily interested in making it Two Player. I made the two "vs AI" versions because I had a personal need to try them out that way. The non-AI AFVs are set to Should Exit for Points as a balancing mechanism: the more AFVs you get, the more the onus is on you to carry the fight [i checked - if they don't arrive, you don't suffer their non-Exit penalty]. In the AI versions, their AFVs don't have to Exit as it doesn't seem realistic to have the AI try to do this. Also, the AI balance mechanism is two-fold:

1. increase the probability of having their AFVs show up;

2. add another company of infantry at the road inlet.

What AFV platoons did you have show up? I'm currently in the midst of running through the "vs Axis AI" too, and have received the captured Panther platoon, but nothing else. They've accounted for 3 x SU-85, 1 x Pz V and 1 x Tank?, but have done so partially by good luck rather than good management; the SS Panther fired first and missed mine twice before I dinged it on the first shot. Another Panther has dodged a couple of PSK shots and survived one hit.

I'm considering having the German AI start with their Btn HQ company on the map, rather than showing up on turn 2.

What happened at the minor crossing over on your left?

I've found the "vs Allied AI" version to be a bit more of a challenge, mainly due to the terrain skewing.

Originally posted by russellmz:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />“Free to Place Units” rather than the “Stick to Scenario Default” that I originally planned on.

figures, the one time i switched the setting it would be wrong.

anyway, it was a fun game but i had some comments:

SPOILERS!!!

[snipped by Brent]

</font>

spoilers! highlight to read.

<table><tr><td bcolor=#a58f50 color=#a58f50>

<font color=#a58f50>

Another Panther has dodged a couple of PSK shots and survived one hit.

same here! this was on the russian side of the river, near the from middle houses.

What AFV platoons did you have show up?

i had two platoons of tanks show up, the captured panthers and a group of russkie armor.

What happened at the minor crossing over on your left?

you mean the forested area to the left of the houses? the germans came in about platoon strength at first and the platoon i sent there on defense got shot up or ran. i was down to the hq and the crack squad (with low ammo) by the time reinforcements finished strolling from the back of the map and drove the germans back. a few more germans appeared that i didn't identify but the new reinforcements kept them bottled up on the shore, away from the houses and the big patch of forest left of the houses.

</font></td></tr></table>

[ July 17, 2004, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: russellmz ]