Lost Evidence: Stalingrad on now (3a.m. PST)Hist ch U.S

Had no idea this would be airing, thus missed first fifteen minutes. Spectacular footage, reenactments

and, interviews from both sides, and of course, the overhead imagery.

(returns from watching a big chunk)

I think I just saw an ampulomet! Definitely saw sIG33, PaK 38, Pak 36, 45mm, ZIS-3, 122 guns, 152mm howitzers, leIG 18, leFH18/18m, StuG III/G, SdKfz 250, 251, 7, Panzers III, IV, possible Zrinyi (or whatever looks like a Marder). Lots of T-34s in winter whitewash, but M43 models, hence wrong.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ February 17, 2007, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Don't forget the seemingly unending obsession with Armageddon, the End of Days, and the top 100 ways we could all be destroyed.

OTOH, we have series Dogfights, The Lost Evidence, Shootout, Wild West Tech, Building an Empire, Ancient Discoveries, Mail Call, just had the wrenching U.S.S. Constellation & The Fight for Freedom, and will shortly have The Dark Ages.

We also had several series on the American Revolutionary War, tons of stuff on the American Civil War, and a whole series devoted to the War of 1812.

Managed to miss the one on Ancient Superships, featuring three of my favorite topics: galleys, catapults, and specialized siege equipment.

I enjoy the history of food and such from time to time, and concrete at least relates in part to fortification, but there does seem to be a lot more "soft" warm and fuzzy stuff on the History Channel. I think we need to see The World at War

there, without color toning the imagery!

Regards,

John Kettler

On Presidents' Day (U.S.), which commemorates two pivotal Presidents’ birthdays (Washington and Lincoln), the History Channel decided to run “Planet of the Apes” repeatedly for the whole day.

This was under the banner of their “Reel to Real” program which takes a film about a historical incident, period or personality, and brings in a panel to discuss it in respect to historical accuracy.

Oh sure, I watched Planet of the Apes. You bet I did. But... no panel discussion. Where was the panel?

But, most puzzeling... on Presidents' Day, I can think of many more topical programs to run. This is something the History Channel excels at. I was even thinking of making my kids watch a program about the presidents since they have been off school for 4 days in a row because of bad weather and the holiday.

All I can say to the programming wizards at the History Channel is "You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to hell!"

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D:D:D

Bannon DC,

Sorry the History Channel blew it!

There was a fabulous program , though, in which comprehensive, state of the art reconstructions of George Washington as a young man, as General of the Continental Army and being sworn in as the first American president were made for an amazing set of exhibits at Mount Vernon. The research drew on painting, statuary, period accounts, his garments, glasses, dentures, etc., coupled with custom built software to model facial changes not just from aging but jawbone loss as he lost teeth.

Regards,

John Kettler