von Lauchert Scenario help wanted (Spoiler alert)

Guest Mike

(sorry if I got the spelling wrong)

Does anyone have a secret to playing this as the Russians vs teh Axis - I played it as a PBEM & got my arse handed back to me in a pickle jar.

I spent 25 moves getting all the Sov armour into position behind the hils and then charged. The German player had bought his tanks over the gulley so he was "reasonably" close and I thought I'd be in with a chance if I could get in among them.

2 turns later I have nothing left!! :( Apparently I killed 2 Panthers but I can't see them dead yet!! lol

SPOIL:ERS

there are a couple threads about my scenario. The bottom line is to adjust your tactics, if you fire at range, you are playing into the German hands. Use your speed to get to the gully. Once there stay hidden and down til the panthers get close and hit them in the side. Keep a few tanks back to keep the Panthers busy, but you have to time it right. Also look at the right side, you will find part of the gully to advance from.

I've played this as Russians a few times determined to win the thing. Once I think I've managed to get a decent sized force forward into the gulley and they sat on the flags until the AI was forced to do something about it. I don't seem able to reliably convince my tanks that maybe this once speed is their best defence if they ALL go NOW! smile.gif

[ June 20, 2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: vbfg ]

Thanks for the replies - I'll try that - although I'm skeptical that the Russians can get to the gully with anything at all in the face of 15 Pantehrs...... ;)

Originally posted by Mike:

Thanks for the replies - I'll try that - although I'm skeptical that the Russians can get to the gully with anything at all in the face of 15 Pantehrs...... ;)

The first batch of T34 / T70s should make it to the gulley with minimal losses. They are speedy enough, and the Germans are firing from extreme range. After that it gets harder, as the majority of reinforcements do not have the speed, plus the Germans are closer and have received their own reinforements. Be prepared to lose a few tanks in the subsequent rushes to the gulley.