German infantry... the choices ... PLEASE help me sort this out

Trying to decide what German infantry to use. Any of you care to expound on the pros and cons of the different types? Or just tell me what your favorite is?

For example (I am sure this is probably a stupid question), what makes a pz grenadier motorized troops "motorized"?

[ May 23, 2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Cpl Dodge ]

I try to buy the infantry type with the best firepower/point-cost/flexibility combination. The database Masta_KFC mentioned helped me a lot to do this.

Since most infantry battles (ME, Probe, Attack, Assault) are fought in a distance between 0m and 150m I mostly buy SS PzGren (Mot) (10). The platoon is reasonably cheap and has good firepower close range due to its 3 MP44 and 1 SMG while the 4 rifles and 2 LMGs give enough firepower up to 150m.

Fallschirmjäger are even better but since I don’t want to mix force types I can only buy StuGs as armour support and there are no useful vehicles to choose from.

In a more specialized role I buy normal rifle squads as scouts, they can fight back and don’t burn their ammo as quickly as the squads with a lot of automatic weapons.

For a defence battle or to protect a flank I buy some SMG squads (not too many because a high percentage of SMG squads of the total infantry force is considered gamey due to a game bug), they are very cheap and have awesome firepower at close range. They are very useful in an ambush but they can’t fight at longer ranges.

GROGS PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I EXPLAIN THIS WRONGLY smile.gif .

(AFAIK) With the development of the Blitzkrieg tactics the need arose to make the infantry and artillery more mobile. Without transport they would quickly fall behind the tanks. Therefore you find self-propelled arty like the Wespe and motorized infantry in CMBO. They are called motorized because the infantry was transported in trucks, while armoured infantry was transported in lightly armoured HTs (but I read that there never were sufficient HTs, so some platoons of an “armoured infantry” battalion were transported in trucks). Since transport in CMBO is rarely an issue most people don’t buy the respective transport vehicles for their infantry, though some super-grogs would tell you that this is “gamey” but I doubt that they play QBs anyway.

Most motorized infantry moved in trucks. Halftracks equipped between 1 in 3 and 1 in 6 battalions of panzergrenadiers. The majority of panzergrenadiers had trucks.

They always dismounted to fight, too, and usually advanced to contact on foot.

Though some half-track borne infantry may have fought while mounted, this was an extreme rarity.