A tough experience

I just completed a QB, May 44. I played Soviets against German AI. (800pt Soviet attack). Anyways, I laid down a nice smoke screen to advance my units. My right wing consisted of 2 platoons of T-34s and 1 platoon of T-70s. My left wing was 2 rifle platoons and 1 pioneer platoon with 3 LMGs. My tanks were caught out in the open by a 75mm At gun in a bunker; I lost 3 T34s and 1 T70, before I could change their approach. Eventually lost a tactical defeat. Anybody have recommendations to take out a 75 mm AT gun in a bunker from 400 plus metres?

[ January 04, 2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: malthoff ]

Originally posted by Rommel22:

Just rush the bunker, I mean it will run out of ammo eventually. Just send another wave in.

That is the unimaginative, unnecessarily costly method. What a good method is is to mass all available armor in cover out of sight of the pillbox, then pop into LOS en masse. Sure, the PB

might get 1 or even 2 tanks, but it recieves a storm of shot and shell in reply which invariably knocks it out quickly. What most people say about dealing with PBs is try to get pioneers around behind it, but in practice this is virtually impossible to do, and the method above works much better.

1. Check the map carefully, there are almost always approaches that are out of LOS of the bunker. Avoidance neutralizes a very expensive defensive asset.

2. ATRs, cheapest way to take out a bunker.

3. Small caliber/high ROF guns/afvs

4. Get infantry behind the bunker.

Attacking frontally is almost always costly. Onboard mortar smoke is the most efficient way to go to blind the bunker while you close.

The bunkers in CM are WEAK. Use that to your advantage. Like the posters before me suggested, pop out en masse and just watch the bunker go down. Almost every shot hits/penetrates the vision slit, the smaller the gun, the better the chance. Too easy IMHO.

Remember also, that the bunkers in CM are way too EASY to spot. Even when placed in woods, "hiding", they stick out like a sore thumb. Screwed up a lot of my scenario designs. I hope the next CM engine can handle more bunker types (like in SPWAW, from rifle pits to heavy gun enplacements).