If you have a hosting problem...

I have seen that some of you guys have problems connecting or hosting in the "Opponent finder" forums, so I thought I write some clarifications on IP's for you here.

This applies to any game not just CMBO or CMBB.

I have seen some of you hosting and telling your opponent to connect to you at 192.168.0.x.

This will never work for opponents connected to your computer over the Internet.

The reason to why this won't work is that the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved the following three blocks of the IP address space for private internets:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

Meaning that numbers between those blocks can never be used over internet connections.

So if you host and find that you have these numbers then you're on a LAN and chances are that your connection is NAT'ed towards the outside. In short you're behind a firewall.

If you can bypass the firewall then you can host. But that's up to you and the person/s running the firewall.

If you want to read more about it you can read RFC1918

Just something for you guys to remember.

[ January 12, 2003, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: hardcampa ]