Ok. NOW what do I do . . . :)

I've got 500m to cover to my last objective. The flag is on woods covered hill 432.

Between my forces and the hill top (which really isn't that high at all) is 400m of gently rolling steppe. No trees to speak of. (just a smattering of scattered trees.)

I've got three platoons of german infantry. A pzIIIJ (early) and a StugB (early).

In support I've got 1 50mm mortar and 1 82mm mortar. Also, I've got a spotter 82mm mortar spotter with a full load (150). I need to take that last objective, but have to cover 400m of open ground.

They've got a t-34 (don't know what model) and a wooden MG bunker in a GREAT spot. My tanks cannot get a bead on it. (7% chance to hit.) I've already wasted too much HE on it. Need to get closer in order to take out that bunker.

The T-34 is going to nail my pzIIIJ if I go toe to toe, I just know it! My Panzer is CRACK, and I think the t-34 is REGULAR. But with the armor on the T-34 versus my 30/curved on the pzIIIJ I can't risk it.

My troops get pinned by the bunker if they try to move up. My tanks get scared by the T-34 if they move up. I can't take out the bunker. I can't take out the tank.

What to do?

All advice welcome. smile.gif

Gpig

For what it is worth from an amateur.

Wood bunker, I assume mg nest? (don't remember here at work whether or not you can get an at gun into a wood bunker).

Smoke the T-34 or other anti armor to get tanks into position.

As for the bunker being in a good spot, two things,

If there is interposing higher ground between you and it, the tanks will burn alot of ammo.

However, are your tanks perfectly still while firing at it. (also means, not in the middle of a hunt command). Any movement will make % low, and I can't believe you are at 7% within 500m , but again, I am doing this from memory and possible lack of exp.

Smoke the T-34. Take out nest while moving your inf up the hill. A good hit from your Stug will be better than the IIIJ I believe.

I would get the panzer to a hull down point and let him wait for the t-34 in toe to toe. Get your view to the ground to find a depression after the smoke starts, put him there and keep him.

After getting the nest, use the armor )(v) command to only have the panzer fire at appearing armor, let the stug hit long range fire.

Can sprinkle a little arty on the hill to expose the nme. They will start moving and you can get a better view.

When inf gets to 250m, but use a green squad or lowest exp in the lead to take the fire, barrage the hill with everything you got, concentrating at this time on the mg's.

Hope some of this helps.

SgtAbell

The specifics are always hard, but here is my advice. Your problems seem to stem from the fact that you can't take down the T-34 and the MG nest at the same time, so you need to take one out of the picture. Smoke it.

I would lean toward smoking the immoble obstacle (the MG nest) because it can't drive out of the smoke. This will let your infantry advance. If he moves his T-34 up to counter, you should be able to get the shot of your choice with at least one of your 2 AFVs if you set them up to anticpate this.

You can also consider using smoke on the T-34 to allow your tanks to close another 200m toward the bunker. If they can then take it down, you have only one issue.

Thanks for your help, fellas.

First off, I made a mistake. The treeline (w/objective) is 1000m away and the enemy bunker and tank are 800-900m away from my tanks. My infantry line is 300 to 400m away from the enemy line.

Turns out, Smoke was the answer but luck was not on my side. :(

I was setting up my attack. I had 3 platoons of infantry across half the map. Enemy infantry was back in the woodline (beyond the bunker and the T-34) a good 800m away. I'd already dispatched a platoon of enemy SMG troops.

Like I said, I was setting up my attack with my PzIIIJ in overwatch when it spotted the T-34 moving, exposing it's flank. My PzIII got off 4 shots to the T-34's 3. First one missed. Next two hit (one riccochet) and one partial penetration.

The 2nd shot from the T-34 took out my Pz. :(

Rats.

Next, I smoke the T-34 AND the bunker (they are close together) and charge a platoon of Vet infantry into the smoke. Also, my StugB charges in as well. In the swirling smoke my infantry get targetted and cut to pieces by Cannister shot.

My Stug, however gets a turret penetration on the T-34. But does not kill it. The smoke clears and the T-34 kills my Stug. :(

This T-34 ended up w/30 infantry kills/cas and 2 pz kills. That is one lucky T-34. :(

I could not cover the rest of the ground to the objective. I'd used my arty (as smoke) and lost a platoon of infantry.

The bunker still ruled. The Tank was still mobile and dominating.

Ceasefire.

Tactical Defeat. (I'd gained two small flags to the enemy held Large flag.)

What a fun battle! Nippy's Rules for Quick Battles. smile.gif

Thanks, NIPPY!

Gpig

[ May 13, 2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Gpig ]

It's too late, but i was going to say that if you could have your PzIII and StuG fire from HEIGHT, it will negate some of the sloped armor advantage of the T-34... the higher in relation to that sloped armor the better.

Alternatively, you could possibly have tried to get the T-34 to "dance" if terrain allows... have your 2 tanks move in and out of LOS, causing the T-34 to pivot turret, and break lock... probably not possible over steppes.

T-34 w/ cannister is NASTY!!! My opponent in a PBEM has been hurting me badly w/ T-34's at point blank (about all he can effectively do b/c I have many Stuka's buttoning him), other T-34's are suppressing me and his PPsH-toting squads then mop up the pinned Krauts.