Russian Training Scenario 402 Pre-game

I have not played this one yet but for a change, I wanted to check my basic appreciation of the scenario before launching into it. Also although I have played Mech forces before I have not done any late war scenarios and have not used the T-34/85 before. Most of the battles have been steppe ones and I am not used to Mech fighting in this close country. So please correct the tactical theory but do not include any spoilers!

German forces: I guess they are the same as before but I expect the tanks have been upgraded to 2 Panthers or maybe 1 Tiger. So my tests indicate the T-34/85 needs to get within 350m to hurt these? so chances are it will play out as per 402 and they Germans can stand off and shoot my tanks to pieces, so concentrate my tanks on killing his infantry. Probably going to be more AT guns and heavier 75mm or above so again keep my tanks in cover but move fast inbetween. Infantry will have panzerschrect so keep 50m+ away from woods.

Russian forces 6 T-34/85, 2 ISU 152 3 SMG pl 1 Pioneer pl some heavy weapons in HT, mortars and rockets as artillery.

The Plan: Speed and aggression but it is a bit wooded so my tanks are vulnerable. Fire the rockets on the village. ISU in overwatch, tanks roll up to 100m short of line of woods with wire, drop a couple of SMG squads to spot AT teams then roll forward over wire into edge of woods, drop rest of SMG teams who clear woods and start moving through village. Tanks follow behind and fire on defenders as they open up. Heavy weapons cross wire in HT deploy in woods and cover assault of village. ISU do the same.

Right flank: Send second tank unit right around flank, drop off SMG teams to work through wood while tanks hunt along behind them. Clear AT guns MGs and Pill box and then tanks shoot up rear of village from flank. Lurk in woods to avoid getting killed by German tanks.

So how does that sound?

You can't afford to wait for targets. The power of late war Mech is the enourmous HE firepower of the vehicles. Think area fire. Pick your route and blast your way in. Do not divide over two routes.

Schrecks are dangerous to 150m or so, and will sometimes fire at 200m. You can't afford to pull up 60m from enemy held woods without any prep.

The problem is not movement and is not getting infantry over the wire. The tanks are not there to help the infantry but the other way around.

Some infantry should dismount to scout, in split squads. You should go fast everywhere you think there won't be enemy, then fire where you think there will be enemy and where you want to go. Then the half squad scouts go through the areas blown up. When they draw fire the tanks murder it.

Use the ISUs on full platoon positions or occupied buildings. They can area fire at buildings you are sure will have defenders, otherwise they should save their powerful but limited rounds for spotted targets.

T-34/85s have strong AT capability and you do not have to worry too much about being dominated by enemy armor. Range does matter against better enemy types, but inside 500m you can kill most things. You still don't want to fight fair, though, and flank shots are superior etc.

On using the ISUs for AT work, remember they have very low ROF. They get one shot then they should move to reload. Waiting around for the second or being stationary when the enemy first comes in range, means giving him 3 shots to your 1, if you miss the first. They are best when they "stalk" a distracted enemy with a shoot and scoot order.

A single tank pushed ahead can sometimes get you spots or cut off enemy repositioning routes and therefore isolate a portion of the enemy force.

Mech wins by using overwhelming violence on a small portion of the enemy force at a time, avoiding giving the enemy firepower integration. Pick your routes and the timing and staging of your attack, to avoid letting all the defenders shoot at you at once. Frequently this means a covered route or a flanking route rather than straight up the middle. It always means staying narrow but deep, to push more attackers over the local defenders than they can handle. (While they are cowering from the HE storm, too).

Thank you for the good advice!

I imagine the role of the foot infantry is to follow up and provide the base for the next leap forward and replacements for the tank riders killed. The heavy MG and mortars set up and lay down fire from a flank base into the assault corridor.

So this is leading me towards a plan where the ISU and heavy weapons are based in the woods not far from where they start to pour fire into the village. The armour all goes round the flank to kill the right flank troops and come into the village from that way. Probably two bounds, right wood first, then village.

I am going to enjoy this!

Many thanks