Artillery: Adjustment of Fire

Is there some particular reason rounds will land all over the place before, or =if=, they finally land on the intended target?

Yes, yes, I know all about calling in artillery support to a rough guess-timate of the target's location - =one= round at a time, thank you very much! - and then 'adjusting' it in. I also know that the number of rounds needed to bring fire in on a target varies according to the training and experience of the FO.

My 'problem', I guess, is that there are times when it seems my FOs can't hit the broad-side of a barn from the inside with a shotgun! The computer generated FDC =can't= be =that= bad, can it?! I mean, hell, even =I= can do better than some of these 'guys'!

So, what's going on - really?! Oh, and how, if at all, can I 'correct' this 'problem'?

[ May 09, 2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: exSpecForSgt ]

One thing that causes problems for adjustment to fire is whether the FO has LOS to where the spotting round falls, not the intended target. If the FO can't see the spotting round, he can't (in the game anyway) adjust the fire so all succeeding rounds will also be inaccurate. Even if the player adjusts the target using a green target line, it won't be accurate because the original targeting was off. You need to start over and retarget.