Resolved: Computer Select is Better

yes, okay, to a certain degree (and please don't argue as to how large a degree) they were replacing panzers in the late war. But.. am I the only one around here who also plays in the early and mid-war periods? :confused: Your charts are all '44ish and by then the war was already decided.. :rolleyes: And the (at least partial) shift to turretless AFV's by the krauts was necessitated by bombing raids etc. rather than a voluntary choice. But the maint point we should be making - instead of nitpicking numbers - is that the designers of CM:AK NEED to incorporate an improved computer selection! CM:AK is the PERfect opportunity for making those kinds of tweaks. After all, it's can't be THAT huge a change to make tongue.gif

Here is a Computer Selected Axis Attack I ran on the computer last night, Armor, 1000pts, 1941. Each side was given a well balanced infantry company, with MGs, mortars, etc.

In addition the Germans received:

4 IIIHs

4 IVFs

1 IVE

2 Spotters

The Allies, got a panoply of fortifications, a pair of AT guns (37,45) and two 76 Mountain guns, plus:

3 T34s

5 T26Ss

2 T38 tankettes

Here's 1000pt ME from 1943.

Germans:

2 SPW 250/10s

1 Capt T34

2 IIIJs

1 IVG

Wespe

2 Shrecks + infantry

Allies:

3 T34s

1 T34 (1942)

5 T70s

4 B64s

3 AT Rifles + infantry

These struck as an intriguing- and plausible- force mixes for their respective time periods. I don't see anything terribly unfair about either of these selections and 2/3s of the AFVs will never be glimpsed in a PBEM match.

Originally posted by KanaljeFätter:
yes, okay, to a certain degree (and please don't argue as to how large a degree) they were replacing panzers in the late war.
I hadn't realised anyone was arguing :confused: .

Your charts are all '44ish and by then the war was already decided.. :rolleyes:
Your original assertion posted here, was StuGs generally were not used where Panzers were, I merely pointed out, that StuG's indeed were used, where Panzers were. For the benifit of other readers here who may get the wrong idea from your post. I can provide 1943 examples as well Ie, III./Pz.Regt.36 etc.

As to the war being decided already, damn someone should have told the Germans :rolleyes: .

Regards, John Waters

You know when Bastsables & I used to pound each other in PBEMs we never had these problems as we both used historical forces. Why can't ppl agree before hand on restrictions for the specified time period?.

I have also previously provided historical examples of German Pz.Div tank composition in the Cherry picking thread, and can provide Soviet examples as well, Ie, on 01.01.42 The Soviets had a total of 7,700 tanks of which 800 were T-34-76, 600 were KV, 6,300 were Lt.tanks, Ie, T-26, BT-7, T-60. On 01.01.43 the Soviets had 19,100 tanks deployed against the German (doesnt include Far East totals) broken down as:

2,000 - Heavy tanks (KV-1, KV-1s, KV-8)

7,600 - Medium tanks (T-34-76, M3 Grant)

8,500 - Lt. tanks (T-60, T-70, Matilda MK II, MK III)

An example of Soviet Tank Corps composition is 1st Tank Corps (tanks only)which consisted of as of, 01.05.42 of:

1st Guards Tank Brigade:

1st Guards Tank Bn:

32 - T-34

7 - KV-1

21 - T-60

2nd Guards Tank Bn

*Same as above

49th Tank Brigade:

1st 49th Tank Bn:

25 - 30 Matilda II

7 - KV-1

20 - T-60

2nd:

*Same as above

89th Tank Brgade:

201st Tank Bn:

25 - 30 - T-34-76

7 - KV-1

20 - T-60

203rd Tank Bn:

*Same as above.

In October 1942 the 89th TB was was the only tank Brigade left in the Corps. The 117th Tank Brigade, was added during refit & composition changed to:

89th Tank Brigade:

201st Tank Bn:

32 - T-34-76

21 - T-70

203rd Tank Bn:

*Same as above

117th Tank Brigade:

325th Tank Bn:

32 - T-34-76

21 - T-70

326th Tank Bn:

*Same as above

Anyway this gives an idea of an actual Tank Corps Tank Brigada composition.

Regards, John Waters

[ May 03, 2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: PzKpfw 1 ]