Looking for some tips on setting up defences

It - or they as it were; there were two scrapped such attempts of the very same nature - are CMAK files. Do you own CMAK?

Ceerio

Dandelion

Yes, and CMBO, and CMBB, and the CM-anthology as Back up, and an extra copy of CMAK to give away as a gift, and thereby corrupting the youth I'm supposed to teach. :)

(I have used CM in my physics class when we talked about projectile motions.)

You can mail it directly to me: as@struer-gym.dk

Inspired by this tread (and my defeat at MZOs WC5) I spend most of the Sunday having the AI assault positions defended by a single squad, and I found a nice combination with a MG bunker, a AT gun and a building.

The idea is to place a (wooden) MG bunker behind a building (or wood or hill) so it can see the wire fortification, but where its firing slit only can be fired upon by AFVs in positions threaten by a AT-gun. A platoon hides in trenches behind the wire.

The MG bunker will slowly break the approaching infantry with long range fire and hurt infantry making it to the wire. I hold the fire of the squads as long as possible, - in the beginning of the battle I even let enemies in behind the wire before I open up to allow the MG bunker soften the enemy as much as possible.

An example from a random map:

defence29dt.th.jpg

I would normally try to find a position further away for the AT gun, but placing it together with the bunker was a new thing to try. The wire fortification is filled with AP-mines.

The result:

end2score2ic.th.jpg

I hadn’t noticed, that there was fog redface.gif , so the AI sneaked a couple of Stuarts down far map side and got control of two flags, - still the casualties are in my favor. Both MG-bunkers was KOed by tanks in the fog, - but I hope you still get the idea of the setup.

end2center2wo.th.jpg

I moved some squads backward in the final turns in an attempt to hurl grenades at the Stuarts.

resultgun6rm.th.jpg

Not bad for green gun, and it did survive the fight.

I can recommend these short 500 pts defense battles:

Totally random except, that the human side has ‘infantry only’ and may choose the troops, the AI is in assault.

I normally buy:

One good (= many SMGs and men in general) platoon. ~150 pts

One good AT-gun. ~100 pts

2 AT rifles / zooks as scouts and to help the AT gun. ~50 pts

One (or 2 if I’m fighting with low quality troops) MG-bunkers. ~50

~10 wires and ~7 AP-mines to create the zone of death. ~100 pts

~3 trenches in case I don’t get any buildings and/or for the AT-gun. 30 pts.

I'll soon try a defense like this aganist a human opponent, - I guess I should add a mortar to silence any supporting HMG.