Ammo options

Unless your troops had a psychic attached, I think most would bring along enough ammo of each type to deal with any situation likely to arise. Loading up with 90%HE is not a good move. 70% not much better.

But while we are on ammo levels. With the ammo levels adjustable, I notice an absence of an option along the lines of:"as much as you can haul" That would be grand. As it is now you run out of ammo with inf. mortars and FOs just when you start to really hurt the other guy.

For once Hollywood has the right idea: Explosions=Good. More Explosions=Better. :D

The ammo loadout is probably not far off when you consider that the men in the mortar unit need to carry all of it. You can sometimes see this effect with certain weapons (I think bazookas and mortars) when the unit sustains casulaties. If you move, you will sometimes lose ammo because it can't all be carried anymore.

Now, the on-board mortars would actually be a place where the notorious ammo truck or jeep could come in handy. They are often back far enough, and with HQ spotting also out of LOS, so that the idea of having a thin-skinned vehicle helping haul ammo around would not be completely suicidal.

Well...all weapons on defense would try to stockpile as much ammo as they could lay their hands on. This was often quite a bit above the levels shown in the game. But then if you had to move, you lost all the extra.

Notable exception was such weapons as has been previously noted like the Brit 3" mortar, which had a Carrier as part of the team that could carry ammo right onto the battlefield.

Michael