Force balance

I try and take the map into consideration, and usually you'll have a good idea of what to expect -- farmland or town, heavy woods or open, etc.

For "close" maps, with heavy foresting or built-up areas I prefer to go with an mostly infantry. The more open a map will be, the more I feel I need long range firepower and armor.

When possible, each platoon gets a mortar, generally light 50s. This enables the infantry to quickly and efficiently deal with enemy AT and field guns.

I tend not to buy light armor like half tracks and armored cars. Light tanks are good, especially with 20mm guns for dealing with pillboxes and enemy light armor.

I usually but at least one arty spotter, often two or three. I've been experimenting quite a bit with prep barrages, with mixed success. These are used to soften the expected penetration point.

I don't spend many points on machine guns, as they have limited value on the attack, especially in "close" maps. Many companies have MG's attached organically, and when I do have them they'll be part of a heavy weapons section that operates independently of the infantry, but with the task of supporting the advancing infantry once contact is made.

Typically a 2000 point force will have 3 infantry companies with a SMG or Pioneer type platoon for exploiting the initial breakthrough. Each platoon gets a light mortar since they can easily keep up with the advancing grunts and and also can be used in woods with an HQ spotting due to the short minimum range (this is where the Russian 50's excel IMO).

Depending on quality restrictions I'll try and purchase one platoon of tanks capable of defeating expected enemy armor. A second platoon of light tanks to suport the infantry and exploit breakthroughs as well as deal with enemy light vehicles and pillboxes. Plus they can be used to distract enemy armor and guns while the big boys get into position.

Remaining points are usually spent on ATRs, tankhunters, arty spotters etc. Whatever I can to make sure I have a good mix of rocks, paper and scissors smile.gif

Thanks! I'll take that into consideration. I usually try a two or three pronged attack to varying degrees of success. My friend did an all out rush on one side taking me by suprise. Thank god I had a 37mm flak gun there that took out three tanks before being destroyed.