Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Effectiveness of Canister rnds on infantry in cover . . .

Good post! smile.gif

Thanks for doing the testing.

I think maybe that just having Cannister rounds take into account whatever cover they are shooting into, might make a big difference.

I have ZERO real world experience with cannister or HE. But It seems to me that Heavy buildings (such as a church) would be the ideal place for infantry to find cover from somthing like Cannister rounds. I mean, even heavy calibre direct fire HE rounds do less damage to infantry inside heavy buildings than Cannister does.

I don't know if it's possible to fix/change/tweak. And I don't really care that much, since it isn't REALLY a big problem. I can live with it since this game is so incredibly satisfying on so many other levels.

But we can dream about that PERFECT game, can't we?

nyuk nyuk. smile.gif

Gpig

• 2 weeks later...

I had a German squad "hiding" in a trench, and a broken crew was running behind the trench. A T-34 fires canister at the crew, which hits 2 men in the squad, and breaks it.

The CMBB trench is very protective, so I'd think a squad hiding in one should be protected from canister, especially canister fired at a target behind the trench.

Obviously these results are just wrong. As for the comment that "churchs are wood in Russia", they aren't so in CM. They are heavy building. If you want a large wooden building, you use one. If you use a church, it is a large heavy building in every respect.

What is obviously going on is the game gives some firepower rating to the C blast, applies the cover rating, and determines a result. It does not distinguish between C firepower and other forms of infantry firepower. Where in reality, heavier forms of cover have a larger effect on such a momentary but high coverage blast.

Complete wipe outs through stone walls are laughable. Pins, the few men who happen to be exposed getting hit, perhaps strong morale reactions - certainly. Every man bowled down in an instant behind a brick wall, no chance in hell. This is -3 leader ASL style "laser cannon" "kill stack" behavior, not WW II.

My suggestion to scenario designers is to keep the C round loads small, as in 5 or less per vehicle, and to consider removing them entirely in a fight meant to take place in built up city terrain. As an occasional means of dealing with close assault and the like, they would remain a presence. As instant city block vaccum cleaners, they are not wanted.