Using Stukas to win the game

Originally posted by Panzertruppe:

Stukas, Hurricanes,Spits......you assholes just made me start digging for my European Air War game to reload!!!!!! You guys should be banned from the CM site for this!!!!

Stukas, Hurricanes,Spits......oh my! :eek:

lol EAW rocks :D

Originally posted by von Nev:

I remember watching a video on the Stuka a couple of years ago and the interesting piece of info from the video was that the Stuka flew combat missions from the first day of the war to virtually the last day. There is a reel from early May 1945 on the eastern front where a late model Stuka destroyed a IS-2 in a farm. It showed a couple of very weary looking German soldiers spying around the corner looking at the smoking Stalin tank after the attack. The Stuka looked as if it was flying at maybe 50 feet on its attack run. Pretty incredible video. The pilot must have been insane to fly such a slow bird with literally no fighter cover. Although I did hear that the Luftwaffe was able to gain air superiority for a short periods of time with their limited assets so maybe this was one of those last occasions.

v. Nev

During the immolation of Warsaw and its uprising vet Stuka pilots were given not only building targets but which window they were to bomb.

Originally posted by SeaLion:

One more thing -- the Stuka had a smaller bombload than the Heinkel level bomber, but the Stuka did more damage to tanks because of it's greatly increased accuracy in the diving profile. tongue.gif

Maybe that's becaues the HE-110 (nor the JU-88 etc) wasn't made for destroying tanks? It was made for level bombing, not ground attack. The Stuka tank buster didn't carry bombs, it had two 37mm cannons. Not to say that the early JU-87D was unable to KO tanks, in fact that did a good job early in the war. Comparing a dive bomber to a level bomber is silly because they are made for two different roles. As for flight sims try War Birds III. Free download for Mac OS9 or OSX and PCs. Download page for WB III

[ July 08, 2003, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]