MG42 light machinegun

dor

I play sort of campaign with my friends and when calculating the loses,the men remaining in most of the cases are not enough to fill a squad,so we thought we could replace the every 2 men left with a light MG 42.But now there is another problem:the 42 LMG is not fast enough despite the fact now it is carried by 2 men,and when is inserted in a squad just one man carry it.

How can be possible the same weapon to be more difficult to transport by two men than just one?

Thanks in advance!

The rationale behind it dor is that when a squad has an lmg like an MG42, all the other squad members are helping to carry the ammo for the mg, spare barrels, and other ancillary stuff. When it's only a 2 man team you can only spread the amount of ammo you need to carry between just the two of them, plus somebody has to lug the damn weapon while the other guy is weighed down by the lions share of the ammo, perhaps a spare barrel or two etc.

So, there's your answer. And it is official as the BFC guys have pretty much stated what I've regurgitated above in a number of previous threads.

Regards

Jim R.

• 4 months later...

Yes. I was an M-60 gunner, probably quite similar to an MG34 or MG42 in terms of movement, and I can tell you the riflemen do not envy the MG team for all the heavy crap we carried. When attached to a squad, I could get a buddy to carry my 60 if I started to become exhausted, as once happened in the Mojave. Without that squad, my AG (assistant gunner) would not have been able to help me, since he had the tripod, spare barrel, traverse and elevation mechanism, and ammo to deal with already. Good game!

Originally posted by dor:

I play sort of campaign with my friends and when calculating the loses,the men remaining in most of the cases are not enough to fill a squad,so we thought we could replace the every 2 men left with a light MG 42.But now there is another problem:the 42 LMG is not fast enough despite the fact now it is carried by 2 men,and when is inserted in a squad just one man carry it.

One thing you could do is split a normal squad and throw away (agree not to use) the assault half-squad. This will give you, essentially, a four man LMG team. I do a similar thing in my campaign game.

Aaron

i use to replace two men, either by a, "Tank-Hunter"squad..(PzJgr-Trp) or a pzBüchse. cause they can run as normal. let the two guys drop the mine and everythings fine..or maybe two sniper, as "regulars" replace nothing but; someone with an irregular K98.

as an MG3 gunner,..quite similar to mg42..no?, this is nuts!!!!!.. but ok, i have to accept it, i think it`s an engine thing, so to place non-german lmg..(see all the other threads)

so to be "battle ready", all weapon units attached to an inf.-company(50mmGrwf,Flame etc..) are taken away from the "third platoon"..

heh, i also like to place a "forth platoon", meaning to decline the total strength of all. therefor i unlist the platoon leader (4men) from a group, and place "them"/him as "unexpierenced" in their new role..

this is actually quite common to german military, as the best men at place(worst case; Schütze Vierling) will lead the platoon, even(when) all offizers & sergeants(die Ufz. halt) are.."away".