Interpreting Real World [tm] Map Symbols

Hi all,

I'm currently interpreting a number of maps I have in various book titles with the goal of creating a couple of CM:BB scenarios. However, despite having a fair background in historical research, I'm struggling to fully interprete the myriad of division/unit map symbols. Now I know a number of hex based groggy wargames operate solely on the use and understanding of these symbols during gameplay but I've never really played any (not enough eye candy for me smile.gif ) so I know that plenty of people outwith pure researchers have indoctrinated an understanding of these symbols. However despite an intensive web search I can find no comprehensive resource that explains them all. So, finally getting to the point..damn I talk **TOO** much..can anyone point me to a website that lists and explains them all?

Incidentally if you don't know what on earth I'm talking about (which would be no surprise) THIS LINK shows an example of some.

TIA

MG

[ February 23, 2003, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: MG-42 ]

It kinda depends on who and where and when has drawn the map symbols. Different armies use them in different ways, and sometimes the guy drawing the map just makes things up. NATO symbols would be the most usual ones these days, but not necessarily in WW2 literature, especially if it's about east front.

Originally posted by MG-42:

Hi all,

I'm currently interpreting a number of maps I have in various book titles with the goal of creating a couple of CM:BB scenarios. However, despite having a fair background in historical research, I'm struggling to fully interprete the myriad of division/unit map symbols. Now I know a number of hex based groggy wargames operate solely on the use and understanding of these symbols during gameplay but I've never really played any (not enough eye candy for me smile.gif ) so I know that plenty of people outwith pure researchers have indoctrinated an understanding of these symbols. However despite an intensive web search I can find no comprehensive resource that explains them all. So, finally getting to the point..damn I talk **TOO** much..can anyone point me to a website that lists and explains them all?

Incidentally if you don't know what on earth I'm talking about (which would be no surprise) THIS LINK shows an example of some.

TIA

MG

The link you have shows NATO map symbols.

These are what people use nowadays.

this link may be of use

http://www.cafes.net/mcozart/bwsym.html

this also:

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/korea/ebb/sym.htm

Directly from the worlds best, the US Army!