Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

TOE for 30th Tank Brigade in 1944

Okay, let me present the question in another way. Did the standard Soviet Tank Brigades have 44 T-34's and 22 T-70's? :confused: I have seen such composition in TOAW scenarios but some more profound knowledge would be appreciated.

What was the ratio between T-34/76's and /85's in summer of 1944 anyway?

1) By 1944, no. The T70 had been phased out by then (and none had been produced for almost 18 months, IIRC), although it would probably still be found in backwater areas (Karelia?), and my suspicion is quite regularly in Cavalry Corps. I have two different sources mentioning light tanks and one showing pictures of a T70 in 1944, one on the Dnjestr, the other in East Prussia.

2) Say 50-50, again with more T34-76 in backwater areas, or less important units.

Oh, and regarding Karelia as a backwater area for Russians... as I have seen a picture of Churchill's in Viipuri and read an account of a M3 Lee having been destroyed with a Panzerfaust in 1944, I have some serious trouble believing your suggestion. Why would they have used such fine examples of Western hitech know-how if it wasn't for the fact that the outcome of WW2 and the whole 20th century was decided in Karelia? Indeed, just the fact that Soviets were more interested in defeating Finland than Germany should prove that everything else was peripheral for Stavka. This is also reflected in tank design. KV heavy tanks were invented for the purpose of defeating Finns, and their followers the IS series also surprisingly was more anti-infantry than anti-tank oriented tanks. If they were designed to defeat the German Königtigers and Panthers, surely they would have used a better AT gun? But the 122mm gun sufficed against Finnish T-26's and BT-42's.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Oh, and regarding Karelia as a backwater area for Russians... as I have seen a picture of Churchill's in Viipuri and read an account of a M3 Lee having been destroyed with a Panzerfaust in 1944, I have some serious trouble believing your suggestion. Why would they have used such fine examples of Western hitech know-how if it wasn't for the fact that the outcome of WW2 and the whole 20th century was decided in Karelia? Indeed, just the fact that Soviets were more interested in defeating Finland than Germany should prove that everything else was peripheral for Stavka. This is also reflected in tank design. KV heavy tanks were invented for the purpose of defeating Finns, and their followers the IS series also surprisingly was more anti-infantry than anti-tank oriented tanks. If they were designed to defeat the German Königtigers and Panthers, surely they would have used a better AT gun? But the 122mm gun sufficed against Finnish T-26's and BT-42's.

Woops - you are completely right of course. I go and phone Col. Glantz to tell him to can all his other projects to deal with Karelia NOW! :D

Originally posted by Sergei:

Thanks Andreas!

Was the T-70 replaced with something else in the OOB or did they just pretend that nothing was missing and go ahead understrength? But I guess I now have an idea.

They replaced them with T34s, at least on paper. You know it makes sense. ;)

The Nov. 1943 Shtat gives the Tank Brigade 3x21 medium tanks = 63 total. The July 1942 Shtat gave it 31 T34 and 21 T60/70 = 52 total. The Dec. 1941 Shtat gives it 16 T60, 20 T34 and 10 KV1 in two battalions, 46 tanks total. You can see how the hitting power increased at the same time as logistics were more and more simplified.

Not sure what the TOAW numbers are based on.