More Russian language lessons

Originally posted by Gordon:

Ok, you know the drill. smile.gif

I need a title for the CMMOS "Russian Uniforms" rule-set.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to these little language lessons in the past.

Gordon

May I suggest another literary reference, this time from Eugene Onegin, where Pushkin says in an aside to his readers:

но панталони, фрак, жилет;

всех етих слов на русском нет.

This transliterates as "No pantaloni, frak, zhilet; vsyekh etikh slov na russkom nyet", and translates roughly as "But pantalon, frock-coat, gilet, all these words don't exist in Russian." It's not a bad joke, and it's quite accurate, as Pushkin was himself the first person to use Russian rather than French for literary purposes.

So, I propose the title "Pantaloni, frak, zhilet". Not that I would expect to see soldiers wearing frock-coats or waistcoats, mind.

All the best,

John.

Pushkin is sublime, and kudos to Mr. Salt for his excellent translation.

I propose an alternative which is considerably less literary, but may compensate by being slightly more modern: There's a saying in Russian (apologies for no cyrillic font) : Nac Malo, no mwi v' tel'nashkax.

It means "We are few, but we are wearing sailor shirts." Its a nod, I think, to the significant achievements of the revolution and civil war by the sailors in the Tsarist-then-Soviet navy. (I think they overlook the Kronstadt rebellion)

A 'telnashka' is that blue and white striped sailor shirt that you still see today as part of certain Russian military uniforms-- the Interior Ministry's OMON (Otdel' Militsia Osobonovo Naznacheniye) troops use them, and perhaps the Airborne, as well.

Some day I intend to create a scenario with the same title "Nas Malo... " about an small band of Soviet Naval Infantry holding off the facist hordes.

V'pered k pobede!!! Smert Fashistam!! URAAAAAA!!!