Edge of the Map Bug?

Hello once again, friends,

I'm still playing version 1.02 (have got the latest patch/upgrade but haven't installed: another story). I'm running windows 98 SE, a 1ghz PIII with 512m of RAM.

Anyway, I've noticed that units on the last hexrow seem to be immune from air attacks. I've noticed it when hitting Washington, whatever that Soviet city is on the edge of the board in the Urals, and campaigning down in the Iraq/Caucases area.

At first I thought it might just have been a conincidence that air units would seem to not hit targets on the edge of the board--maybe I didn't have the supply levels necessary or that the odds just didn't work out (didn't have enough instances to support a conclusion, just always seemed that the air attacks there didn't work out). However, it was noticeable.

My test case came after my initial air attack (a single airstrike from a 15 point jet based in Canda) came up short against Washington. I deliberately loaded Canada up with five-15 point Jets (both long range aircraft and Jet research maxxed out at level 5: these were some NASTY aircraft) along with a high rating Headquarters, and added a few 14 point carriers. They all attacked Washington, which was held by an understrength corps (something like a 4).

Not only was the unit still there and at its original strength after every air unit has made an "attack," but not a single mission had resulted in a "hit" (the nice little explosion followed by sound effects)--nothing but a flicker (and the air unit being "used"),

The ground assault, I'm happy to say, went okay. I've noticed this on the other edges of the board, too (as mentioned).

Is this something that anyone else has noticed? If so, is this fixed in the latest patch?

Thank you for reading along,

Salute!

I'm almost certain that it wasn't a factor of supply, etc--Washington was an "open city" the turn before; the U.S. had just purchased a corps and popped it there. However, I'll check again tonight (I'm at work now :rolleyes: ) and be a bit more methodical and report back (unless someone else has noticed the same and mentions it in the meantime).

Salute!

Greetings and Hail, good sirs,

I double checked last night and found that it had been a series of coincidences that had led me astray concerning the ability of units to hide under the "roof at the edge of the world" from air attacks.

When the entrenchment of the target is reduced, and the supply level of the aircraft is high enough, the scunnion from above does, indeed, fall upon those who lurk in the last hexrow.

Apologies for firing a half-cocked gun.

Salute!