House Rules ?

Old&Slow

Hi All

We were playing a 3 person Hot Seat game last night starting in 1939. German, England, France played by different guys.

While a lot of fun there was some problems with both side doing ahistorical, maybe even "gamey" moves, like sending the Algerian Corps to attack Italy, Rumanian troops being sent to England, all troops in England being sent to fight in France in 1940...etc.

So, I would appreciate some opinions on reasonable restrictions for both sides for the next game to make it a bit more realistic without ruling out all options ( if that makes any sense )

TIA for all help & opinions !

Isn't the point of this game "woulda, coulda, shoulda?"

The only thing I'm aware of that I would consider a "gamey" tactic is the surrounding of Moscow and subsequent inability of the Soviets to build while you eliminate them. Hopefully this can be addressed by patching Soviet supply rules to effectively recognize three capitals at all times and simply use the closest one to which there is a supply path.

Before someone would get me to agree to not use my forces the way I want it's going to take some explaining. Why can't the French forces posted in Algeria be used to attack Italy? Just because the French chose to sit back doesn't mean you have to. Also, why couldn't the British make the BEF a larger contingent? What if they thought that was the key to victory? They certainly could have, they just chose not to. As for the Romanians, perhaps in the history you've created they have been promised a large enough share of the spoils to make lending Hitler their troops for Sea Lion worth their while.

If you start limiting what people can do, you're going to end up playing out the same basic strategy each time. Where's the fun in that?

I like to mix it up when playing with my friend. Just because I invaded Spain last time as the Allies doesn't mean I will this time. And just 'cause he got level 5 Industrial tech last time doesn't mean he will this time. I still see hordes of corps in my sleep...

Gunslinger

Originally posted by Gunslingr3:

Isn't the point of this game "woulda, coulda, shoulda?"

The only thing I'm aware of that I would consider a "gamey" tactic is the surrounding of Moscow and subsequent inability of the Soviets to build while you eliminate them. Hopefully this can be addressed by patching Soviet supply rules to effectively recognize three capitals at all times and simply use the closest one to which there is a supply path.

Before someone would get me to agree to not use my forces the way I want it's going to take some explaining. Why can't the French forces posted in Algeria be used to attack Italy? Just because the French chose to sit back doesn't mean you have to. Also, why couldn't the British make the BEF a larger contingent? What if they thought that was the key to victory? They certainly could have, they just chose not to. As for the Romanians, perhaps in the history you've created they have been promised a large enough share of the spoils to make lending Hitler their troops for Sea Lion worth their while.

If you start limiting what people can do, you're going to end up playing out the same basic strategy each time. Where's the fun in that?

I like to mix it up when playing with my friend. Just because I invaded Spain last time as the Allies doesn't mean I will this time. And just 'cause he got level 5 Industrial tech last time doesn't mean he will this time. I still see hordes of corps in my sleep...

Gunslinger

Yah yah....get back to work you gamey bleepard. You know you're just trying to defend your general gameyness. Won't work...we all know how you are. :D

A house rule that you could include is to give USA and Italy the ability to make 1 move before they can be attacked. IE, you can place armies and corps ready to invade Italy into palermo factory hex etc (not all critical Italian hexes start with a garrison), and place as much French and British navy that you can near the place where the Italian navy starts the game.

Then you either idle, and wait till Italy joins the war, or you can declare war on Italy yourself.

If you don't let Italy get a chance to defend herself (ie make 1 move first), then you can sink basically all her fleet and take away atleast a couple ports and factories, and fortify thoose with your armies/corps.

Pretty gamey, some do it, some like it. I don't like it, you haveto make up your own mind on it smile.gif

~Norse~

Originally posted by Old&Slow:

<snip>...(ouch)

So, I would appreciate some opinions on reasonable restrictions for both sides for the next game to make it a bit more realistic without ruling out all options ( if that makes any sense )

TIA for all help & opinions !

Aloid's house rules

#1: Don't spill the beer on the computer!

#2: Bring your own damn beer!

#3: No Japanese beer allowed, this is an ETO game!

[ August 20, 2002, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: Aloid ]

Keep in mind that a lot of these things carried

"political costs" (aside from US/Russian entry).

For example an Allied attack on the Low

Countries, which makes a lot of strategic sense

in SC, was a non-option in the real war. Friction

between France and the UK led to the "Anglo-

French non-cooperation" rule in 3R. I wonder

what world opinion would have been if Churchill

had been able to pre-empt Hitler in taking

Norway... :mad:

John DiFool