PBEM carrier killer BUG !!!

xediel

in pbem when you attack a carrier with bomber unit and you have a af in vicinity you will get an intercept for that carrier with your af and consequently your bomber will get a clear damage free attack on carrier making devastating damage !

i was stunned when i lost a carrier in that way in my game against gavrok so i playtested it a few times so this is 100 % correct info !

[ July 18, 2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: xediel ]

Dosn't sound like a bug to me. What you described is right and one reason why bombers can be so very usefull for germany (or any nation. You'll never buy the shear number of bombers vs air fleets but 1 or 2 can be quite usefull in defending Western eroupe from Operation Overlord/Round-up ect,...

Numbers (no tech, unknown supply but assume 100%)

Carrier - AD=3 AA=1

Air Fleet - ND=2 NA=4

Bombers - ND=0 NA=5

Carrier (D) intercepts Air fleet (A)

(assume both 10 str and 100% supply)

Damage Carrier 4 Air Fleet 3

Bomber (A) attacks Carrier (D)

(Carrier now str 6 Bomber str 10, 100 % supply)

Damage Carrier 5 Bomber 2 (3X.6)

Total Damage Carrier 9, Air Fleet 3, Bomber 2

Random battle results could incress this by a 2/3 units up or down. Also experence would effect the results. Bottom line is two attacks against any navel unit will leave it very damaged or sunk unless Tech or lots of experence is involved.

Air power rules the waves (until you get Carriers with jet power that is).

yes but still...

1 axis bomber

1 axis air fleet

1 british carrier

it happens in this order:

1. axis attacks the carrier with bomber

2. a message appears "british interceptors" (interceptors of the carrier that is being attacked)

3. a message appears "german interceptors"

4.damage taken by both sides (carrier and af)

5. bomber unit bombs the carrier and they exchange damage

is this what is supposed to happen ?

this doesn't happen in hotseat !

in hotseat:

1. axis attacks the carrier with bomber and bombs it with no interceptors, they exchange damage and that is that

in hotseat:

1. axis attacks the carrier with bomber and bombs it with no interceptors, they exchange damage and that is that

This is not right unless its a distance or supply issue ( not sure on supply but I've seen some odd stuff when supply reachs 0)

I'll hop on Hotseat and give it a try.

tested this feature in Hotseat and PBEM and recived this result

in hotseat:

I guess this is the result that Hubert wants. So if you did have a carrier 'self' intersecpt' then I guess it is a bug. Though one way or another you'll get both units to attack.

I couldn't test this in IP, of course.

i'm not sure.. have to play test this but i think you get better damage results when the intercept occurs especially if the intercepting af is concieved from sight...

anyway i'm not going to worry too much about this... i'm off too bed..

To make matters more complicated the carrier that was bombed had earlier intercepted another axis fighter attack (Str 12) on a ground unit so couldn't intercept again.

The carrier was then attacked by another german fighter , and no allies could intercept as they'd already intercepted another battle. Dont think the carrier could intercept this.

The coup de grace was delivered by the strategic bomber which I thought got through again without interception.

Dont quote me on any of the above but I think that's the jest of it.