Under-appreciated Aspect of SC?

As originally posted by SuperTed:

My first goal is always trying to improve Industrial Technology. Getting the unit prices down has a HUGE lasting effect.

SuperTed's comment about having gained a HUGE advantage has intrigued me.

To divine the intentions (... assisted by trustworthy, Non-Omniscient battle-site reports) of our blood-drooling and utterly ruthless Foe, and thus -- countering their bolstered units, will mean that we might either: A) invest in the appropriate antidote, or B) ignore them and continue with our own diabolical plan.

So. Will research decisions drive strategic choices? By that I mean -- let's pretend that you have invested in Advanced Subs and Heavy Bombers. You finally :D get the fortress planes, and then -- do you completely jettison your prior strategy of wolf-pack attacks, and NOW concentrate on bombing garrisons and infrastructure?

And then! spend another 250 MPP to try and extend this advantage even further? Might we not end up like the gambler who has lost all the rent money?

(BTW Ron, I have played many games and not gotten any advances -- despite 1000+ MPP investment. OTH, in one serendipitous game I got all 3! that I had invested in, AND! on the same turn! What are the odds? The woeful thing about that, alack, it will likely NEVER happen again :( and so the good fortune was wasted! on a solitaire game.)

Anyway, in the beginning, if you are Germany and on the offensive, you might well invest in Heavy Tanks. If Russian, then Anti-Tank enhancement? And vice-versa 'round about '43.

We do not know precisely what the research successes will provide, but I have investigated the difference between Kriegsmarine and Royal Navy, and there is this:

1) Britain has Sonar, and so their BBs have ONE point higher (on the unit-capability scoreboard) than Germany for naval defense.

2) Germany has Advanced Subs, so they have ONE point higher for naval attack by the U-boats.

Yet, some of this must be intuitively gleaned. I.E. Britain has AA-Radar, but I don't believe (?) I can find out what that translates to, unless it is explained in the Final Rules.

(BTW Hubert, can we expect these to be posted before long, as you had earlier mentioned that you might? Or, too many last minute alterations?)

Finally, I will assert that the research advances will most definitely insure SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT games. Heretofore I had underestimated just how much it would influence choices and results. After all, playing a one-year Demo does not provide very much in the way of -- The Big Picture.

Any comments or speculation in this regard?

Yet, some of this must be intuitively gleaned. I.E. Britain has AA-Radar, but I don't

believe (?) I can find out what that translates to, unless it is explained in the Final Rules.

IE,

I believe AA-radar improves the damage done by fixed defensives (flak guns that are not seen) to bombers and Air fleets attempting to damage strategic resources. Not for sure though. But I don't believe there is a clear cut "attack number" you improve.

I do agree that the technological advances by one side or the other will greatly influence the choice of action by the players. This adds great benefits to the replay value of this game.

[ June 02, 2002, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Cooper ]

Guys,

If you go here, you can read this:

"RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT

Only the Axis and Allied Major countries can conduct research and development. The following list of technologies is available for further research and development:

· Anti-Tank Weapons

· Heavy Tanks

· Anti-Aircraft Radar

· Long Range Aircraft

· Jet Aircraft

· Heavy Bombers

· Sonar

· Advanced Subs

· Gun Laying Radar

· Rockets

· Industrial Technology

Each research type has a maximum level of 5 and a maximum number of 5 research points that can be put against it. At the beginning of each turn, each research point has a 5% chance of returning the next level of research (so 5 research points in anti-tank research will give you a 25% chance per turn of getting the next level), so the more research points put against a particular type of research, the better the chances of achieving the next level. Also, depending upon the type of research, a variety of results can be achieved with each new level. The following is a breakdown of the benefits for each type.

ANTI-TANK RESEARCH

Increases the tank defence and maximum strength values for both Corps and Army units.

HEAVY TANK RESEARCH

Increases the tank attack, tank defence and maximum strength values for Tank Groups.

ANTI-AIRCRAFT RADAR RESEARCH

Improves the air defence values for all Strategic Resources.

LONG-RANGE AIRCRAFT RESEARCH

Increases the spotting, action points, and strike range values for both Air Fleets, and Strategic Bombers. Also, every new level of long-range aircraft research increases the spotting, strike range, and maximum strength values of Carriers.

JET AIRCRAFT RESEARCH

Improves the air defence, and air attack for both Air Fleets and Carriers, while the air defence value for Strategic Bombers is increased. In addition, the maximum strength value for Air Fleets is increased.

HEAVY BOMBER RESEARCH

Improves the strategic attack and maximum strength values for Strategic Bomber units.

SONAR RESEARCH

Improves the naval defence values of Battleships, Cruisers and Carriers when attacked by submarines.

ADVANCED SUB RESEARCH

Improves the naval attack and maximum strength values for submarines. Also, submarines in general have a 25% chance of successfully diving from either naval or air attack, but with each new level of advanced sub research, this percentage improves by +5%.

GUN LAYING RADAR RESEARCH

Improves the naval attack, naval defence and maximum strength values for both Battleships and Cruisers.

ROCKET RESEARCH

Improves the attack values and strike range for all Rocket Detachments.

INDUSTRIAL TECHNOLOGY RESEARCH

Every new level of industrial technology decreases the cost of production for each unit by 10%."

Thanx SuperTed for the detailed assistance and the helpful counsel -- since the beginning.

I guess I was trying to encourage some philosophical discussion. This topic is now being examined in another thread, and that is all to the good. smile.gif