Computer Experience Bonus

trampledunderfoot

I'm interested in hearing from others about the level of player skill this is required to defeat the AI when the difficult level is set for expert and the computer experience bonus level is set for +2.

I've had success in defeating the Axis AI at expert and +2 when I've played the side of the Allies. I suspect that is because the AI doesn't perform as well in an offensive proactive role as it does in a passive defensive role.

However, when playing the side of the Axis against the Allies at expert and +2 it is a different story. It seems to me the computer experience level bonus of +2 is remarkably difficult to overcome when you are the Axis. I have been able to take Poland, Denmark, Belguim and France with favorable results and on a reasonable timetable. Then I get prepared for the Eastern front with Russia with a decent sized attacking force. The problem I run into is that it has been too hard to kill off the sheer volume of Russian infantry when they posses the 50% level of combat experience. (Recently I actually had an attacking tank group with a strength of ten and an HQ supporting it lose six ponits to a Russian corps with just one strength point. To add insult to injury the Russian infantry didn't even die.) Obviously, if I cannot successfully advance into Russia, then the Russians will eventually spell doom for the Axis.

I'm interested in understanding if my strategy and tactics are the main issue or is it just simply that Axis AI with a computer experience bonus of +2 is that hard to defeat?

In simple terms, my basic strategy is to advance into Russia starting about Jul' 42 with about eight tanks, five infantry, two fighters and three HQs. I use minimal resources to hold the Western front and I pour most of my MPP into tanks with some infantry as I am committed to advancing into Russia. I'm not suggesting this is the world's best plan but it works well until the computer experience bonus is set at +2.

Thoughts?

[ February 16, 2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: trampledunderfoot ]

One question would be were that 1str corp was. If behind a river and in a swamp or heavily entrenched then that is not a unrealist result. Most players go for a heavy dose of air support - with only 2 fighters you lose control of the air right off the bat (russia starts with 3) and you lack to ability to 'finish off' units with your long reach.

But no matter how you cut it, russia is tough. Poor supply, lots of units, lots of defencive terain ect... Its the only place where the allies can turn back the axis hoard, and must. In other words your not alone in finding it hard to beat the ruissan bear.

The AI has its strengths and limitations. You may want to try my Campaign mods, which improve play balance a bit for solo games.

Other than modding the scenarios, there are three things you can do to create tougher challenges; each has its pros and cons. One, go to Intermediate or Expert levels, but this affects plunder values and random entry chances and skews the strategic picture. Two, go to +1 or +2 experience bonus, but this creates some very tough challenges and skews things at the operational battle level. Three, turn various game options on/off, like War in Siberia ON as the Allied player against the Axis AI.

Depending on your skill and experience, some combination of the above should result in both a challenging game and one that is fairly realistic. My better games are those that are decided sometime later in 1943 with several turns of nail-biting suspense where it appears the AI may hold the upper hand. I enjoy winning as much as the next guy, but not unless there's a challenge. So try different combinations of the game options until you find that "ideal" balance. ;)

Bill

I think you've pointed out the real issue. I want a challenge in playing against the AI but I don't want to severly skew the dynamics of the game. There isn't anything particularly difficult about dealing with the AI in expert mode. I've typically selected all the optional rules and national randomness to spice up the flavor of the game. However, adding +1 or +2 computer experience doesn't seem to make the game better in a strategic sense. It just makes for a harder fought battle on an operational level. It seems like I just end up taking the Axis forces straight into a Russian meat grinder as I can't seem to kill enough infantry effectively enough to advance towards Moscow.

That said, I'm still interested in knowing if anyone has regular success in defeating the Allied AI with a +2 combat experience bonus or if it's a nearly impossible task regardless of a well executed strategy.

As originally posted by trampled...

That said, I'm still interested in knowing if anyone has regular success in defeating the Allied AI with a +2 combat experience bonus or if it's a nearly impossible task regardless of a well executed strategy.

Playing against the AI when it has +2 experience level is unrealistic and gives the impression that the computer is cheating... losing 5-6 strength points on a Panzer unit when it attacks an unfortified corps is a truly mystifying result. :eek:

One thing that I do (... IF keeping the +2 level)is use the editor and give all of the starting German units +1 on experience (... in addition to other equalizing changes to each side's OOB, too numerous to mention) level.

This will allow you to carefully build up the experience of the ORIGINAL German units in the various campaigns from France to Norway to Yugoslavia, etc.

Then, you will at least be on equal terms with the French and Russian defenders, which is actually akin to playing at +0. Of course, any new units that you buy will have to be carefully placed and nurtured, else you will sooner than later pay a heavy price.

But, this hardly helps the poor Italians... well, perhaps that is actually more faithful to historical reality... example: their numerous but haphazardly-commanded navy will be hard pressed to inflict much damage on the RN.

I would like to see the experience levels changed... instead of +2, make it +1 and 1/2. An easier balancing solution would be to allow the gamer to alter ANY country (... for the '39 scenario), even if not at war. :cool:

[ February 18, 2003, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Immer Etwas ]